General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

97 E 420 missing fastener on plastic eng. cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Default 97 E 420 missing fastener on plastic eng. cover

Hello ,

I recently had my car serviced at any independent shop. They resolved the bad vacum line promptly, however when I checked air filter assembly I noticed that the black plastic engine piece that sits on top of the engine was slightly loose.

Upon further inspection I determined that the rear two 10m nuts were not there.

Question...? Isn't the black plastic engine covering supposed to be fastened by the two rear fasteners...?

http://www.evozine.com/benz/missing1.jpg

Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 E 420 missing fastener on plastic eng. cover

> Question...? Isn't the black plastic engine covering supposed to be fastened...

We must be related! I'm extremely particular about little things also.

To answer your question: Yes it should be fastened. But don't get angry, certain bolts/clips/snaps that get removed regularly can break or get lost. The cover is mostly decorative to clean-up the look of the engine compartment, but I think every screw should be in place. I bet your local service department has the small parts you need in stock. As far as getting someone to admit they lost or broke the fastner, that's like trying to get someone to admit they ate the last cookie; good luck. My local dealer would probably replace the fastners for free, even if it involved drilling out the old broken fastner, if I let them know in a nice way that it bothered me. Seriously, some owners don't care, never even look at their engines, and would complain if any extra time was spent on the car. Let the mechanics know that you are particular about your engine, so when they read the service order for a "pet E420 named Baby", they will know you are "that" type of customer, and I think you'll get the kind of service you want.

Charles

Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks Charles,

I am glad to see that there is someone out there with attention to detail.
I keep the engine area as clean as a dinner plate- doesn't everyone else...

I sent a nice email to the independent shop here in San Diego, if they plead the 5th on this one I can always obtain the parts from the dealer ...

Al

Old 03-20-2006, 03:04 PM

My C280's cover is held on by a snap down system. The rear right left snap down fastener did not look correct. I went to the dealer and sure enough someone had jury rigged a piece of rubber for the correct snap down. I bought the correct piece. The correct snap fastener also corrected an annoying buzz I had in the engine