General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

94 SL500 Convertible Top Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Default 94 SL500 Convertible Top Frustration

Problem started last fall and I've already invested $2500 in a roof that only partially works. If trying to put it down, it won't unlock from the visor frame. The windows will go down, the back window and the boot will do their thing and then it stops. You have to manually unlock the front of the roof and push it by hand the rest of the way. When putting it up, the boot will come up, top will go straight up and stops dead. You then have to turn car off and manually push the roof to the visor area. It will then lock itself and everything else goes as planned. According to the guy who took the $2500 the car is incapable of reading some code somewhere. Had no idea what he was talking about. He also talked about the battery being low. It started everyday last winter with no problems. In the grand scheme of life this is certainly not a huge issue for anyone, but was wondering if anyone had a quick $10 fix for this thing. On a side note, i noticed last Sunday the seats and steering wheel would not adjust while the engine was running. I could move both of them with the car off and the door open. A friend googled it and they won't operate because the cigarette lighter fuse needs to be replaced. Gotta love those Germans. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks in advance for any ideas out there.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM

I don't have the exact problem but my right front top corner releases with a loud bang. I notice some adjustment to the release in that position. Possibly yours is simply too tight or maybe that cylinder isn't working at all. I know there was a place promoted on this Forum where cylinders can be shipped and rebuilt. I had all cylinders bled in mine ($$$) and the reservoir bled like a master cylinder. I had leaks in a number of places and someone had introduced the wrong fluid.