General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

82/300SD death trap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Default 82/300SD death trap

Logged into forums this morning as a new member ...and lucky to be here...

Was on a major high traffic expressway yesterday afternoon in stop and go, stopped then run it up to 35-45 mph only to have to hit the brakes, that type of traffic.

The car started to chug, felt like there was heavy wind buffeting type of resistence ... (even when placed in neutral) ...traffic began to stop ahead went for the brake ...Zero ,,,Nada,,, brake pedal on the floor!!

got myself to the shoulder from the third lane and coasted to a stop, checked my underwear sat there trying to re-compose myself from the effects of not getting killed by the faster moving traffic in the middle and the first lane.

I checked to see if the rotors were hot .. only warm

Checked for brake fluid in Master cylinder...full

checked for leaks... none

In car waiting for tow truck I started to pump on the brake pedal... and the pressure starts to come back slowly ....after pumping them about 20 times the pedal is back to normal ..and brakes are fine.

Towed to garage... mechanic calls this morning...

"Been driving the car for the past 20 minutes brakes are fine.."

I say unless you can find a problem I got a 4500lb. boat anchor on my hands .. can never trust it again..

Help!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Do you feel ever feel a shudder when you apply the brakes? A warped rotor can cause heating and intermittent fade.

It could also have been simply due to the traffic conditions. When was the last time you had the brake fluid flushed? As fluid gets older it absorbs more moisture from the air which lowers its boiling point.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 AM

no shudder just the surging I experienced just before break loss, as though driving against a stop and go resistance. Brake fluid not hot when I checked reservoir.

brake fluid not flushed in a long time, decided to buy new master cylinder ...

some told me there are two cup like valves that may have stuck...at this point I'm all in regardless... since cant sell it .. cant drive it.

appreciate the feedback