General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

420sel starts, idles high, dies in 3 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Question 420sel starts, idles high, dies in 3 seconds

OK This has driven me daft for the last 4 weeks or so and any help will be appreciated.
Basically, 5 weeks ago car idled at about 1200rpm I used the car regularly whilst waiting for a new relay to arrive as suspected idle relay at fault as voltage low at idle valve, lent out vehicle for one day, got vehicle back dead. It ran, idled high for maybe 3 seconds, then dies. The person who used it claims he parked the car, got in the next day and it simply started, reved high and died. I do not know if this is true (Expensive mistake)
I had not fitted the relay at that point, since then checked everything using MB Service manual, did not have a ratio tester however so utilized a digital meter and did the best I could.
No open circuits. All relays and ecu, coil, EZ ignition, etc have been changed with working ones, no difference, I have even changed the fuel distributor, no difference however when changing the fuel pressure regulator I failed to tighten the return flow line from the fuel distributor to the pressure reg, the engine ran and did not die although it was rather rough (and leaked gas). The leaky line was tightened and the car when back to start, high idle, quick death.
I am sure it is pressure related but have now exhausted everything I know. I do not have the pressure guage to measure system high and low pressure but if any one has any suggestions I will be most gratefull.