General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

300SE Won't start when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Default 300SE Won't start when hot.

Greetings all,

I have a '89 300SE that has a problem starting when the weather is hot. This has been an ongoing problem for a year or so now and the last 2 mechanics I took it to were unable to find a problem (it was fall/winter when they looked at it) The problem is that if the temp outside it warm (85+ F) and the car has been driven for more than 20 mins it won't restart after being turned off for 5 mins. When I try to crank it, it doesn't turn over at all (as if the car is in gear - but I have check this). The battery still has juice but it won't turn the starter at all, but if I jump it, it starts right up. It seems like a battery issue, but it only happens if the weather is warm. And if it does not start I can leave it for a couple of hours and when I try again it starts right up. This causes me to think its temp related, but the engine temp gauge does not indicate that the engine itself is running any hotter than normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ivan

Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 300SE Won't start when hot.

battery/battery terminals/charging system

Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 AM

yup. that sure sounds like it would be the problem. Cars' battery often fail when they are hot

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

battery/battery terminals/charging system

Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Don't know where you are in the world, but if in the USA, go to any AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. They will performa free diagnostic, including your battery, charging system, and starter system. All FREE.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 AM

wow. I wasn't aware of that. I have to take advantage of that. Thanks waybomb
ORIGINAL: waybomb

Don't know where you are in the world, but if in the USA, go to any AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. They will performa free diagnostic, including your battery, charging system, and starter system. All FREE.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I thought that might be the problem initially so I replaced the battery and Auto Zone did a check on my starter. I am wondering if it couple be an issue with the cables themselves. I haven't thought about the charging system since it only happens when it's hot.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 AM

I have a SL500 that has a similiar problem. The car starts great in the morning when the engine is cold, but if I drive it even just for 10 minutes during the summer when the temp is 80+, it starts to idle rough at stop signs and I run the risk of it stalling. Once that happens, good luck getting it to start again. I have to wait an hour or more for the engine to cool down, and then it will start back up. I've run the battery down sereral times trying to start it up, but the only thing that works is to wait.

A friend said it sounds like the mass airflow senor and the dealership wants to replace the distributor and rotor (the car has two of them so it is a hefty $895).

Any thoughts???

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM

Scheij, that sounds exactly like the same problem I am having. When you have the problem of not starting up when it is hot, what happens when you try to restart it? In other words does the engine try to turn over? Mine will not even do that, I can turn the key, but it doesn't even turn the starter, but if I wait an hour or so it will start just fine.