General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

3 minor(?) problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Default 3 minor(?) problems.

Hello and thanks for any and all help with my questions.
I have a 97 E320 and recently the transmission has started shifting very hard in the first two gears first thing in the morning.
The tranny will hold those two gears too long and then shift abruptly. After it has done this in 1st and 2nd gear it drives like a new car
and doesn't have any further issues going through the gears? The car has 67K now. It has also started a small "spring like" vibration in the shift **** on mild acceleration. Does something need to just be tightened? My brothers old 190E had this sound and so it has me concerned...

Lastly, the right rear tailight does not have a parking light illuminated. THe turn signal and back up light work fine as does the brake light but just the night time park light on that side isn't working and I have rear lamp failure on the instrument panel. I've replaced the bulb but that hasn't helped. After reading some posts, I'll check the fuses. It would be nice if someone could point me in the right direction however.

Thank you again, I appreciate your time.
Rob

Old 06-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Default RE: 3 minor(?) problems.

Automatic transmission these days are designed to hold lower gear shifts when the engine is cold to a higher RPM before shifting. Helps to warm up the engine and cat faster and reduce bad emissions.

I don't know if your car has the electronic tranny, my 99 C280 does and it does this and according to the temp and the speed I am driving the shifts at times are hard, but smooth out at the engine warms. That being said it a design feature.

If you don't have the electronic tranny, I am pretty sure, Mercedes adopted this technology on earlier most of their automatic back in the early 90.

I also have a 79 450SLC, which even in hot weather takes a while to warm up, as it is a 3 speed automatic that functions the old way, via fluid, ***** in the tranny that move when the fluid is routed to them and a "manual" torque convertor, that is no computer controls on this car. But I can still hold each gear to almost redline if I keep the pedal to the metal, as it is said.

I wouldn't worry, unless the shifts are so hard they are annoying or the shift don't "smooth' out when the car reaches a predetermined temp. Which is different for every engine and the pollution controls contained therein.

By the way you have a nice car. I wanted a E Class when I bought my C280, but the dealer had none preowned. I got such a good deal on the C280 which was 3 years old and only 30K, and they thru in an extra year of STARMARK, which I used twice. Except for the battery the car is faultless. I hope it stays that way as it is a keeper.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:49 PM

As far as the parking light on the riight rear. You have a rear fog light on the left rear parking light. A double filament bulb.

The same bulb is used on the right side. But the install is different, it has to be turned the opposite way or you'll have a BRIGHT parking light. Or the holder could be the problem. For cars that cost so much $$ the rear light holders are cheapo. Disconnect the holder unit, there should be one connection on the bottom of the holder. Get a socket cleaning brush and clean the contacts. Then if you have a thin ice pick or a pick with a slight bend on the end, gently pull up the brass contacts. Over time and changing bulbs, these contact get bent down and you get a poor contact. Also use a dab of diaelectric grease, keeps corrosion away. Replace the bulb the opposite way and see how it works. It if is very bright then it is in wrong. While your at it check the fuse, as there are separate fuses for that side. It could be corroded or shorted out. If shorted you should find the problem. Sometimes it is just a surge and is no big deal. The surge is usually caused by the bulb not be seated correctly.

Finally disconnect your negative ground on the battery to reboot the computer. Make sure to follow the instructions in the owner manual on resetting the one touch windows ASR or ESP Sun roof, if equipped, and a few other things, that slip my aging mind.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Thank you Allan, we love the car.

Your theory that it's a design feature to heat up the car makes the most sense because it only occurs when its cold. If we let it really warm up it is not a problem.

The tailight situation and the new little vibration in the gear lever are annoying however.

Thanks for your comments.
Rob