General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2054 Errors-Help and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Default 2054 Errors-Help and Questions

C220 CDI W204.008 646 engine 2007 135,000km, engine warning light On.

Checked with my MB2 iCarsoft diagnostic, first DTC 2054-00 is:

"The analogue/digital converter to the CDI control unit N3/9 is faulty",

Have just driven 500 km for 35 l diesel, so 7 litres/100 km is nothing to worry about. User guide says to start worrying as I may damage the engine, but at least the consumption is OK. Question:

Does this error mean the engine is running on default values for injection volumes and other parameters? Anyone driven with the engine warning light on?

Taking the cover off from the ECU I noticed mechanics had already looked at the ECU as a plastic pin in the middle had been sheared off, which holds the cover to the ECU in place. Have they just wriggled the three contacts to the ECU to fix that same error?

Second error of 2054-007 is "Fuel temp sensor, open circuit or short" is easily tested via a multimeter before replacement, so that is no worry.

Buy a A0009050800 fuel temp. sensor, if that is the right model, for US$20 to AUS$400 for the genuine part, take the corrugated air hose off, notice some brass colour below the fuel pump at the front, take plug of, check for 3 kilo Ohm resistance at the two pins, if open circuit or short use your 19mm spanner to replace it, that is what the web tells me.

Rather than taking the air hose off, etc. I thought I may as well buy the part and have it ready regardless of what the checking with the multi meter told me as I hope I can trust my iCarsoft MB2 diagnostic with the 2054-007 fault code for the B50 part with "Open or short" message.

My engine warning light is on intermittently, so I hope it will disappear after as those two errors may be related. A STAR diagnosis would cost me AUS$250 and then fixing the issue is a AUS$150/hr affair. Fora tell me voltages must be right as low voltages lead to all sorts of ECU problems, but in my case the voltage at rest is 12.5V and charging is at 14.5V.

How did you get those error(s) fixed?

Old 10-20-2019, 05:23 PM

Mercedes 2054-00 and 2054-007 Error (DTC) – Solved!
Interesting that the “Engine Fault” symbol appears just before a service and a few km afterwards, but then not anymore, so the software is setup to push you to the service!

2054-00 is “The AD converter of the control module N3/9 (CDI control unit) is faulty”. Had me worried as a new ECU costs heaps plus Merc has to copy the security (key) information from the dead unit’s ePROM into the new ECU or if you get a second-hand one, the security chip has to be un-soldered and soldered into the new (old) ECU. I also saw one of three plastic supports broken on the ECU, so a mechanic had already at least looked at the ECU? That message means the analogue/digital converter in the ECU is stuffed OR a sensor sending the signal to the ECU is stuffed.

My diagnostic displayed 1 of 2 and the second message was: “2054-007 Fuel temp. sensor open or short”. The forum tells me the resistance is supposed to be 3 kOhm. Rather than taking the fat air intake pipes off, measuring the resistance and then ordering a new fuel temp. sensor, I decided to order one and replace it regardless in one go.

A Merc. sensor is about AUS$400, one from Europe costs about 100 Euros and there are much cheaper ones available from China.

The location of the sensor is given on the forum with photos and a 19mm ring spanner is suggested to remove/install it, but that is not the best idea as there is no room. In my plumbing set I found a 19mm tube spanner.

My old temp. sensor was neither open or short, but displayed about 1.6 kOhm and that is strange, but I do not care as my diagnostic now for the engine management system tells me “No DTC” or no more errors and I am happy!