General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2006 cls500 air suspension problem....help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Default 2006 cls500 air suspension problem....help!

hey guys, i recently bought a 06 cls500 w/50k miles. the air suspension is acting up, and the messege center on the dash displays the workshop messege when this happens. the guy i bought it from told me this happened on and off. ok, this is what it does, in the morning when i first start driving it does not work, it seems to sit at the correct height, but it rides crappy. after i drive for approx 30 minutes, it will just start working. it lets me adjust the suspension just like normal, and the dash messege go's away. it almost seems like a relay switch is affected by the cold, and needs to warm up or needs to get jolted around a bit? i had my air ride on my H2 act up, and i traced it to a $15 relay. but i wouldn't know where to look on this car. i would really appreciate any suggestions as to the problem. thanks, Earle

Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM

I think what your going to have to do is get the car scaned. If the armatic light is comming on it will leave a code. You say the ride hight is ok. Make sure all 4 corners are up. They will normally drop on one corner if it is leaking from a shock or rear airbag.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by bearsbusa
I think what your going to have to do is get the car scaned. If the armatic light is comming on it will leave a code. You say the ride hight is ok. Make sure all 4 corners are up. They will normally drop on one corner if it is leaking from a shock or rear airbag.
hey Bearsbusa, i traced the problem (i think) to the module on the passenger side floorboard/under dash behind the carpet. i started the car cold and the airmatic would not switch on, and the malfuntion messege appeared. i then pulled the carpet back and took my heat gun and heated the entire panel which all the modules are attatched, and in 2-3 minutes it started working fine. so something is not making contact until it gets warm and expands. should i pull the metal panel and start checking wire connections on all the components?
thanks, Earle

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM

I guess I would think you have a bad solder joint in the control unit? You can check the connections or the pins in all the connectors. Make sure that they are all seated flush in the connector. I have seen them get pushed back slightly in the housing. Then they do not make good contact when pluged in.