General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2004 c230 kompressor caught fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Unhappy 2004 c230 kompressor caught fire

Hey Everyone-

I have been on this site for a few years now and love MB. I now own my 3rd MB and it has been the biggest lemon I have ever driven. My old 1994 Eclipse never had this many issues and it surely never caught fire.

I bought my 2004 C230K a few years ago (has 97K on it now) and I love it but I have put more money it fixing electrical malfunction on this car than I EVER though I would.

Well The problem started when my fan blower for A/C would start fluctuating speed. Well then one day the fan just shut off for no reason. The only way to get it to work again was to turn the car off and back on. Well the other day while driving and the A/C was on full speed, SMOKE starting coming out of all my vents and it smelt like burning. Right after that the fan just shut off again.

I had to roll my windows down to let all the smoke out and got to my office. Well I took it into MB of Nashville immediately. I told the service manager Jeff what it did and I think it almost started an electrical fire. He's like oh no they don't do that (whatever). He called back and said " Man you were right, the mechanic just drove it into the shop and it immediately caught fire. the mechanic had to put the fire out and while doing so he burnt his hand.

So MB told me that the Fan blower Regulator malfunctioned and caused my fuse box to over charge and caused it to ignite. so my entire fuse box under the dash caught fire and melted at MB dealership!!

Well I called MB USA and filed a dispute for payment. They DECLINED ALL work because it was out of warranty. Did I mention it ONLY has 97K miles on it! and IT CAUGHT FIRE!!

I feel like this is a MAJOR safety concern and now don't want the car any longer. MB sees it as my problem and not theirs, which all of this malfunction was factory product and it really concerns me that MB can just shove it under the wrong and push the customer away. SAD!!

Not really sure what to do now besides trade my car once I PAY FOR THE REPAIRS! VERY DISHEARTENING! NEVER THOUGHT MY 04 MB WOULD CATCH FIRE WITH 97K MILES ON IT.

04C230K