General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2003 C230 kompressor missfires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Default 2003 C230 kompressor missfires.

I HAVE A C230 KOMPRESSOR THAT IS MISSFIRING IN CYLINDERS 2,3,4
I HAVE CHANGED FUEL FILTER, CYLINDER 3 INJECTOR, TEMP COOLENT SENSOR, AND A FULL TUNE UP.
WHEN I CHANGE THE INJECTOR PROBLEM WENT AWAY FOR A WEEK AND CAME BACK.
MY CHECK ENGINE IS ON ALL THE TIME AND CAR HAS NO *****.!
THERE ARE FAULT CODES AS SUCH.
1- CYLINDER 2,3,4 MISSFIRE AND FUEL DEFFICIENT
2-TEMP COOLENT SENSOR
3-CAM SHAFT SENSOR
I HAVE GIVEN UP AS MERC BENZ DEALER CANT REALLY FIGURE IT OUT

Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Default RE: 2003 C230 kompressor missfires.

Hi,

Shouldn't be too difficult if you tackle the problem systematically.

An MB dealer that can't sort this sort of issue out needs to be got rid of!

So please start at the beginning with:

1. Vehicle History. mileage, age, How long problem has existed, etc
2. What are the DTC's (Fault Codes). i.e. P0301 etc rather than your CYLINDER 2,3,4 MISSFIRE AND FUEL DEFFICIENT description which would require a number of codes to be set.
3. Conditions when the misfire occurs. Engine Cold, Hot, Both. At idle, accelerating, cruise etc
4. CYLINDER 3 INJECTOR, TEMP COOLENT SENSOR, Genuine MB parts?
5. Full Tune up. What does this mean please? Plugs (OE spec used?), plug leads (changed)? New filters...nothing else that I can think of that would come under such a term.
Ignition and carburation which used to fall under this headinfg are no longer adjustable!!
6. Did the car have :"*****" during the week you state that all appeared OK?
7. Is the CEL ON?

Changing parts at random is NOT the way to proceed on modern cars.. Costs to date?

Subject to your reply I'll see what I can come up with.

Stuart

Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM

i changed, spark plugs, air filter, air condition filter, and fuel filter watever was recommended for service A.
vehicle has 145000 on it and no sensors have been changed on it.
i'm not sure how to find out the fault codes specifically meaning with their computerized codes.
well teh problem started last summer before i stored the car. Engine was hot and there was a sudden shake felt inside the cabine from the engine when the car was shaking and notice of missfire from the exhaust running wet (check engine on).
i didnt deal witht the matter as i stored it for winter until this summer when it is hard to be figured out.
i have chaged mass air metre on the car, and temp coolent sensor, and cylinder 3 injector.
the shake has disaapeared yet slightly felt but it is not as bad as before since i havechanged the injector. The smell offumes have turned better and not like wrotten eggs. the Check engine light comes off and on. and the carhas no ***** right now but when the injector was changed itwas back to normalwith acceleration.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM

have you had the vent hose recall done on it yet.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM

chec to see if your catalitic converter is clogged

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM

ANY garage should be able to read and reset the codes for you.
I understand that many places in the USA will do this Free of Charge if you don't have a low cost reader of your own.
To read the codes with a scanner takes 2 minutes!

Without the info I requested I can't take this any further.

Wet exhaust?? Are you using / losing coolant?

Stuart

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM

i also have changed the vent hose.
and when the codes are cleared by the reader and check engine is off then then it will alter appear again.
thanx rick

Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM

you may have carbon bad valve springs there was a problem with them not being strong enough and making massive misfires and check engine light on nothing fixes it but the updated valve springs .even then some time we have to replace the head cause they dont always fix it mercedes has a dtb message about it take to the dealer for proper repair

Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 AM

You still haven't answered the questions I raised which are required in order to assist you.

A misfire can be caused by 1001 things including those raised by other posters.

The starting point is What are the codes? e.g. P0300 or whatever. The meaning of these can easily be looked up on the net. Experience is required to determine what set the code. The code doesn't directly tell you what is wrong.

Importantly you have not stated whether the engine is losing coolant. if it is then this may explain your misfire. if not then I'm able to eliminate a number of possible causes.

You state that you have checked the temp sensor. How? or do you mean that you have ensured that the wires are still connected or similar.

I should like to try to help but you need to be much more specific.

Finally, if the garage have tried and failed to fix the vehicle exactly what have they charged you for doing.

Just to illustrate my point did they measure the cylinder compression pressures? 2 minute job and that would reduce the possibility that you have a valve / valve spring problem.

Did they measure the fuel rail pressure?

Fixing your vehicle should be quite straight forward but you have to start at the beginning.

Definition of problem.
History and mileage?
Codes?
Whats already been done?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

You still haven't answered the questions I raised which are required in order to assist you.

A misfire can be caused by 1001 things including those raised by other posters.

The starting point is What are the codes? e.g. P0300 or whatever. The meaning of these can easily be looked up on the net. Experience is required to determine what set the code. The code doesn't directly tell you what is wrong.

Importantly you have not stated whether the engine is losing coolant. if it is then this may explain your misfire. if not then I'm able to eliminate a number of possible causes.

You state that you have checked the temp sensor. How? or do you mean that you have ensured that the wires are still connected or similar.

I should like to try to help but you need to be much more specific.

Finally, if the garage have tried and failed to fix the vehicle exactly what have they charged you for doing.

Just to illustrate my point did they measure the cylinder compression pressures? 2 minute job and that would reduce the possibility that you have a valve / valve spring problem.

Did they measure the fuel rail pressure?

Fixing your vehicle should be quite straight forward but you have to start at the beginning.

Definition of problem.
History and mileage?
Codes?
Whats already been done?

I might listen to this guy, he seems to have a straight forward common sense approach. No.... nevermind, just continue doing things at random.

Quick Reply: 2003 C230 kompressor missfires.