General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2001 S500 Battery drain/errors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Default 2001 S500 Battery drain/errors

Hi, I recently procured a S500 from a family member who had issues trying to repair the car.
He lives in Oregon where it always rains. The water filled up inside the cowling for the cabin air, spilled down the firewall and into the car and ended up under the back seat where the rear CAM is located. He was on a trip and noticed his dash lighting up with all sorts of errors and was able to limp the car home where it sat for two years while he tried to fix it. He told me I could have it if I could get it started. So I started with the easiest thing. The car had been sitting for two years and the battery was dead. I pulled my truck up behind the car, grabbed some jumper cables, went into the car and started it right up. He was in shock and visibly hurt as I drove the car away to get a new battery.
I drove the car for some distance for two days as I was leaving back to Northern California in three. I didn't want any unsuspecting problems on my way back. The thing drove like a champ! Although there were errors on the dash. L,R Tag lights and L,R Tail lights. The tail light were working fine and the R tag light was working fine. He had pulled the L Tag light as it would not go off at all.
So we were off back home to California with no problems what so ever (except those errors mentioned above and also the SRS light would randomly come off and on). We made it home and parked the car for the night. Waking up the next morning, I went out to start the thing and the battery was dead. I charged up the battery and started it when there were more errors on the dash. Along with the other errors I read SBS SRS and something else I cant remember. These other three errors were the first and last time I had seen them. I went out and installed the other Tag light and got the same result as he did. The light would not go off.
I performed several draw tests via the battery terminal and do not see anything pulling power. The alternator is feeding at 13.4.
What is strange is that the three prior days to us leaving the battery was fine. It never depleted over night like it is now. Also when checking the battery for excessive draw, i dont see any.
I suspect the rear SAM as it did get wet and just ordered one.

Anyone have any ideas for me?