General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1st question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Default 1st question

Hi everyone this is my first question,i did used the search function but i couldn't find any answers for my problem.
My girlfriend ownes a 2001 c class it has 60000 miles on it, and it is having problems with it's command center,i mean it works fine when we use it but service said it has a short in it, because it is draing the battery every night.they wanted to replace it but they are asking for $ 3200 plus labor my question is did any one had a similar problem? can it be fix by just chancing the faulty circuit? and is it the wright price? and can somebody else replace it ( I know it is not wise to go someplace else but if can they fix it cheaper why not)
Thanks for your help.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1st question

you mean the COMAND got power drain?

did your gf confirm this by removing the fuse for that unit and see if it doesn't drain anymore? it doesn't go to sleep mode which causes the drain, and repairing it needs a good technician, but he got no way of getting the schematic diagram of the unit...and therefore difficult.

what is the VIN so i can give you the right price.

now, what is your 2nd question?

Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 PM

Thank you for the help.only 1 question for now. i meant as a new be my 1st question.He he he but anywys ,I didn't see her for two days and she just called me and said problem is solved? and she said they helped her out with the repair cost and it was only $ 1100 .she picked up her car earlier.I have to stop by the dealer ship tomorrow and ask them personally couse this dosen't sound wright,i know for a fact first estimate was $ 3200 i've herad the message myself unless i didn't hear it wright, so i'll kepp you guys posted.
Thanks again.
ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

you mean the COMAND got power drain?

did your gf confirm this by removing the fuse for that unit and see if it doesn't drain anymore? it doesn't go to sleep mode which causes the drain, and repairing it needs a good technician, but he got no way of getting the schematic diagram of the unit...and therefore difficult.

what is the VIN so i can give you the right price.

now, what is your 2nd question?

Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Someone must be able to fix a short aka power drain at a dealership, it is a Mercedes product? Or I am dreaming when I say a dealer should be able to fix the products they make. I think a new unit is a bit extreme. Might take it to a real good private audio shop and she what they say, and if Sleepwalker could get a schematic, I don't see the why it can't be fixed??? Or am I off base here.