General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1998 S420 Air Condition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Default 1998 S420 Air Condition Problem

I am a first time MB owner with very little knowledge of their design, engineering, etc. I really like the look of the car and how it rides; however, I recently parked the car in an airport parking garage for about 7 days. The A/C worked great on the way down to the airport, but didn't blow cold air when I returned and was driving home. Everything seemed to work, but it just wasn't blowing cold air. I bought a can of Freon and hooked it up and found their to be significant pressure, so the problem doesn't seem to be with the Freon. Is this problem common? Could it be something electrical that is not kicking on the compressor? Could it be the compressor?

Any insight to solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am crossing my fingers that it may be something other than the compressor.

Regards,

Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1998 S420 Air Condition Problem

was the EC light on?

do you know how to read the actual values using the pushbutton unit?

how much is the pressure of the freon? (bar)

does the compressor clutch engaged? (take a look).

does the low pressure hose on the engine compartment gets cold and moisture?

can you see bubbles from the sight glass of filter/drier bottle?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Default RE: 1998 S420 Air Condition Problem

I will look into your questions this evening. I appologize for my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the EC light. I did not see any lights on the dash board that would indicate there was a problem.

I will look into your questions this evening. I am not a car guy, but am gaining an interest in learning more about them and I love my 420. If you have any pictures/ instructions of where to find things when I pick up the hood it would really help me out. I am a complete novice, but would like to learn. I have an engineering background, so I imagine I could figure most of this out if pointed in the right direction and given advice from an expert like yourself.

Again, thanks for your quick response and I will evaluate my car this evening.