General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1995 C-280 FUEL CUT OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Default 1995 C-280 FUEL CUT OFF?

I have a 1995 model of C-280 and the car engine stops even with the fuel tank half full. The car engine cannot be restarted unless fuel (even as small a quantity as 4 liters) is filled in the tank. This problem used to occur when the fuel level drops to a quarter level in the tank but now the engine stops at half tank. What is the problem and what shoud I do to solve this problem? I need your advice please, anybody. I certainly would appreciate if this problem is solved for me.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Default RE: 1995 C-280 FUEL CUT OFF?

I had a very similar issue with a 96 C280 and it turned out to be the Fuel Pump Relay.

I was able to determine that by doing the following: Next time it fails, try pulling out the fuel pump relay and tapping it on the ground (on it's side of course). Then put it back in and try it again. If it starts up, you've found your culprit. The fuel pump relay in those cars are known to have issues with poor soldering joints inside them. Tapping it should help to identify if that's an issue or not.

The fuel pump relay is located in the trunk of the car near the battery.

Could also be an issue with:
Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pump

Is the car at any particular angle when this happens ?

Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge ?
[IMG]local://upfiles/5574/21C0BFA99D0F490F83C9C64057425018.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 AM

Thank you SL_Cruzin,
I will try taping the relay. I do not have access to the fuel pressure gauge and the car stops at any point irrespective of the angle. thanks also for the photograph - it has enabled me know where this fuel relay is.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Now to be sure I have your problem understood.

It just randomly doesn't want to start? is that right ?

Or is it actually stalling ?

Because if it's stalling, that's a completely different issue.

Please let me know which it is ok.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:40 AM

Thank you very much.
This problem occurs at a specific fuel level. But this level is increasing and I am affraid it may soon get up to quarter tank level!.
The fuel used to cut off at a quarter tank level on the fuel gauge before now. Now the car engine will stop, due to fuel cut off, at slightly above half tank level in the fuel gauge. The engine will start when fuel, even as small quantity as 4 liters is added, but will stop when the fuel level drops back to that level (a little above the half tank mark).
The fuel level indicator is okay and this is evidenced by the quantity of fuel that is required to fill up the tank when the fuel cutts off.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 AM

Are you sure that the guage is accurate? It may be faulty fuel level sensors. Check how much fuel it takes to fill the tank.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

your fuel tank is separated into two.

a jet pump transfer the fuel from another tank to the other side where the pump is located.

i have many cases on which dirt accumulates on the jet and cannot transfer the fuel anymore.

your other tank is full while the other is empty (that is if you got the model with such tank)

Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Default fuel gauge sensor failure?

hi guys.
today i faced a problem which is regarding to fuel.there is a c200kom.w203.
i opened up the rear seat and inspected,full of fuel.then i used to measure is there continuety on the fuel pump,but it is ok.
the owner changed the jet pump at other workshop,but still the same.then brough to our workshop here.is there any method to cure this?

Old 08-27-2005, 03:50 PM

I didn't quite understand this post to begin with, but thanks for updating the info.

The vehicle should have the split tank, which like sleepwalker stated, a jet pump (attached to the fuel level sensor) transfers the fuel from one side to the other.

I ran into issues with these also in that the internal fuel line is kinked not allowing for fuel to flow through to the other side of the tank.

The fuel level sensors aren't really that expensive if my memory serves me right - The one with the pump on it (drivers side) at the local dealer here is around $140 . (the other side (pass side) is around $80ish) check with the sponsors of this site though as they may have better deals.

If you don't have the facility to do this job, I recommend you take it in somewhere, as this job can get very messy in more ways than one. Exposed gas in not to be played with by any means.

It also takes a special tool - (or equiv.) see pic.

Let us know if you plan on doing the job yourself and I can post instructions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5574/1DDB641D18064C2AB792071C76D40F61.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5574/530201E86C6C4EC5BA059780D848E64A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Default RE: fuel gauge sensor failure?

ORIGINAL: taek
hi guys.
today i faced a problem which is regarding to fuel.there is a c200kom.w203.
i opened up the rear seat and inspected,full of fuel.then i used to measure is there continuety on the fuel pump,but it is ok.
the owner changed the jet pump at other workshop,but still the same.then brough to our workshop here.is there any method to cure this?
The best thing for you to do is to Start a NEW Topic, list the Model and Year of the Benz you are working on, AND what exactly the problem is.

Because, based upon the information you've given above, I haven't a clue what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 1995 C-280 FUEL CUT OFF?