General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1994 E 200 Power loss and fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Default 1994 E 200 Power loss and fuel consumption

My dad's 1994 E200 manual is not as powerful and fuel efficient as before. Serviced and maintained regularly. Has 170 000km on the clock. All settings are fine per dealer. Could fuel injectors need replacing/reconditioning or anything else?

My 1998 C180's airbag off warning light in centre console does not come on as it used used for a few seconds when starting. SRS light in dash is fine however. Also clutch starts shuddering and knocking when in heavy traffic for longer than half an hour.

Any ideas???

Appreciate assitance.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1994 E 200 Power loss and fuel consumption

your dad's car problem is not easy to diagnose without any actual values and symptoms.
fuel injector can make the engine shake a little, and also the ignition system.
if the air filter (engine) is blocked, then you cannot accelerate the way it used to. clean the throttle valve.

your car:
check the child seat recognition sensor. did a service shop disable it before? they need your signed permission before doing it.

is your transmission automatic or manual? both have different effects on such problem. tell us what it is.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:11 AM

Thanks Sleepwalker.

1. E200 is a manual 5speed. Air filter changed regularly. No shaking. Cannot give any symptoms just seems a gradual power loss over the past year or two. Where is the throttle valve. Is it at the end of the throttle cable? Dad in the process of replacing throttle cable.

2. C180 is a manual 5 speed. Problem with clutch started only after clutch replaced with dealer. Cannot seem to get the problem to occcur when they have the car. Their explanation is that the shuddering could be caused by the dual mass flywheel however problem still occurs although the flyweel was replaced. In addition geabox was replaced with a reconditioned one as I lost all gears suddenly one day assume bearings collapsed. Problem still occurs with the new gearbox therefore do not think it is related to box. A bit unusual considering only 109 000Km on clock with full history. The most common occurences are when aircon is running, in heavy traffic and temperature above normal i.e 80 degrees celsius.

Airbag. Thanks for info will check with dealer. Going in this Thursday.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

yes, it should be somewhere on the end of throttle cable.

the dual mass flywheel was designed to absorb the jerk, more better compared to the normal flywheel. it is still use presently on diesel engines on larger car, van or coach. am surprised you got this one

the problem that you feel is from the flywheel. even if it's new, mistakes could happen sometimes... such as not installing it properly where some area are higher than the other, or a bolt which was not tightened properly. it has nothing to do with the clutch.
if you will pull out that flywheel and check for the alignment, you might find a burned out spot unevenly. on higher temperature, the friction will seem more likely to be a bit higher (just my opinion...i might be wrong too )