General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1986 Mercedes 300e w124.HELP!! Do you know what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Default 1986 Mercedes 300e w124.HELP!! Do you know what's wrong?

I have a 1986 Mercedes w124 300e with auto transmission and 100,000 miles. Just the other day as I was driving down the street i pulled the car over to park and as it idled I noticed the engine making sounds and running very low rpm it sputtered a little then died. I restartex it and it started fine but when I gave the car some gas it was very unresponsive then slowly died again. I had to get it home so I started it up again then put it in drive and gave it gas, once doing that I noticed the economy gauge rising (using more fuel) and would not go down when my foot was not on the throttle anotherwords running the Same rpm but fuel was being pumped without me doing it. I could get the car to weakly drive 100ft at a time also it made a couple popping sounds. I had to continuosly restart the car to drive further. About halfway home I held the throttle then released when the economy went up and then it drove me back home fine with very good respnse after. When I started it again today it had the same problem and as before the economy gauge was acting funny and it would idle then slowly die. I have posted before about bad accelration response which I was told could be the masterflow sensor but the car would always drive Fine other than that. The day before this happened I changed the oil filter and oil but added a little too much oil (about an eighth inch above max, could this be part of the problem?Please help it's my only transportation!! Let me know if you know a possible problem or what I should troubleshoot thanks!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM

hey um just try to clean the throttle body good inside with some gesoline and check the air filter.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Hi Ghostface-
Almost sounds like what happened to my car after an oil change a few days ago. The car idled fine. A few minutes later it became rough. As I backed out of the drive way I heard "popping" under the hood (it's actually back firing!). Back firing, powerless, and a foul smell at the exhaust seemed like the symptoms of timing gone bad (to me) but all I did was change the oil (???). I checked if I snagged/unplugged/broke anything but wires and hoses all look intact. When the engine was cool to the touch, I removed the spark plugs and found one that was fouled (passenger side near the firewall). I gave it a good wipe and placed it back. For all I know, that seemed to have fixed it because until now it's running fine. There may be a small oil leak in one of your gaskets where enough fresh oil seeped through that fouled a plug. Clean the plugs. If it still does it, then go to other things: fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition cables, etc. If it still does it then have your electronic accelerator checked.