General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1983 300D a/c rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Default 1983 300D a/c rebuild

Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a 1983 300D turbo that recently had the a/c compressor clutch fail. Looks to me like the spring itself is broken in two places and I have a metal on metal sound when the a/c is turned off. What prompted me to check is me losing my a/c in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot desert day. The compressor will cycle and now it will blow cold air, but the clutch is still broken. The compressor was a reman that is now ten years old. It was converted to r134a probably 15 years or so ago by a German specialty shop, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, I decided to replace the compressor with a new one along with the accumulator and the expansion valve, however I'm having a hard time finding all the hoses. My car has an assembly that attaches to the compressor. It has one hose running under the front side of the block that is part hard line and part rubber (the line that has the high side port). This line also has a bracket that secures itself to the block, right over the oil pan. The other side goes from the compressor and is all hard line. It's like a pick up for another soft line. This assembly looks to be tack welded together. The other lines include one larger black one that runs to the firewall, and two blue ones that attach to the accumulator.

I did a small search, but didn't see anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I figured these hoses looked original and after 32 years they may be due for replacement.

Thanks for any help