Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

seeking parts for 300d engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Default seeking parts for 300d engine rebuild

hey all!
i'm new to this forum, but i did search through all the previous posts to try and find an answer to the following questions but did not find anything totally relevant.

last year i got a 1980 300d from north carolina. on the trip home to minnesota, the engine started to knock, so i trailered it from tennessee to a garage and now i'm just getting around to fixing it.
i pulled and disasembled the engine after finding piston parts and bearing shavings in the pan.

the car has a 5 cylinder, 3.0 liter engine...

the piston from cylinder #2 is broken, and the crankshaft rod journal is scored and out of round.

i am planning to grind down the journal and find an oversized bearing, replace the piston and re-assemble the engine. while it's apart i will grind the valves and seats and if there's anything else worn i'll take care of that at the same time. everything else looks good with minimal wear on the camshaft, cylinders, crankshaft and pistons/rings. the chain and gears even look brand new.

my questions are:

anyone know where i might look for a used piston for this motor?
where can i get one oversized bearing?
if i find the crank needs more milling than it should bear, where might i find a good deal on a slightly used crank?

i am disabled and without an income, also this car is to be used for a non-prof. org once it's running and converted to run on wvo, so i dont have much of a budget to work with.
i will also be refreshing the transmission while its out to ensure many dependable miles in the car's future. i coud use any hints of where to look for transmission parts or part refurbishing too in case there's problems with the trans (3 spd automatic).

thanks in advance for any help!
~shredder

Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Default RE: seeking parts for 300d engine rebuild

well your going to end up spending more on converting it to wvo that replacing that piston and crankshaft.
i would go to a junkyard,they have everything.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: seeking parts for 300d engine rebuild

it mite be better to get a rust bucket 300 with same engine asd swap it.look on craigslist or ebay