General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1982 300SD shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Default 1982 300SD shifting weird

Alright today was not a good day for my car, on my way home from school, I noticed it shifting rather early and oddly, it goes 1......2 comes in real early....like less than 10mph, then quick slips past 3 in a lurch feeling, then locks into 4th, as low as like 20mph....kickdown switch no longer does a downshift....it just stays in 4th and pushes along, once its in 4th it won't come back out of it until I have slowed back down in a normal stop below 17mph where it resets itself........upon attempting a brisk acceration, it refuses, and quick drops in second, slips 3rd, then proceeds to use 4th at about 35mph, even with full throttle applied. I never see rpms above 1,700 now....it just won't let it rev anymore....when I put it in "S" which supposedly limits it to not using 4th gear/OD, it stays in second, and won't go to third. It just started doing this today on my way home, on the way to school 3 hours earlier it was perfectly fine, I had all the seals re-done and such about 5 months/6,000 miles ago, and it had firm shifts, and was working perfectly. It still drives ok....I guess, but I really would like to know what happened, is this vacuum or modulator....or some sort of adjustment? It just is odd that it would show up suddenly like that. Help?

Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Default RE: 1982 300SD shifting weird

my mercedes has kind of the same problem... luches when it shifts...

What i am doing is ordering a new automatic transmission filter and gasket from the store... Ill inform you on the results of changing the fluid/filter on my car, when it arrives and i can find time to install it (friday or saterday)

when you change it, look in the pan to see if theres metal splinters or peices of gears

Nate

Old 09-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

his problem was just 1.5 quart of ATF.

it was topped up and works fine now.

please let us know the result of your car too

Old 10-02-2004, 12:45 PM

I have a question about how to check the trans fluid... do i have it running at idel, high idal, or cold?

because its different at every leval for me... and NONE are where they should be... o and get this, my owners manual says to add 10.7qts to the transmission, but my HAYS manual says to ad 5.1 qts... can someone help me [sm=icon_blah.gif]

i allready ordered the filter, and picked it up... now for the transmission fluid, should i check it when its idealing or when its off?

Nate

Old 10-02-2004, 03:46 PM

When you check the fluid level make sure the car is warmed up (not just started, but driven a few miles at least), on a level surface with the trans in N, and idling at normal idle.

Recheck the manuals for the fluid capacity. Trans fluid is usually referenced by pints, not quarts. Ten pints equal five quarts, for example. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:35 AM

thank you lugnut

Im feeling lazy this weekend so it most likely wont happen tonight or tomarrow
theres hope for next weekened though... o and btw, the problem isnt something wrong in the transmission, its just how its allways been (surges/backs off during the shifting)...

so yet again, i bought some more parts i dont really need...

o well, and thanks lugnut for being here
your very helpfull

Nate

Old 10-04-2004, 01:32 AM

o why cant i leave well enough alone?

someone should have been here watching me and my friend work on this darned car...

I decided to change the automatic trans fluid/filter today/(and unfortionatly night)

it took about 4 hours and i still dont think its right.
Taking everything apart was the eazy part, pan and filter came off without much of a hitch

but reassembly is another story... i dont have a 3/8 tourch wrench (should've picked one up before i ever started this pjt) I ended up using a 1/2 torch wrench with a 3/8 adapter)
I put it back to gether replaced all the washers that were allready on it, and had one extra new one, that was the same size as the one on the drain plug... when i took it off it only had 1 on it, so i assumed it only needed one
(should have immediatly raised a red flag)
so when i filled the transmission it leaked about a quart all over the driveway, and i GOT to throw some oil dry on it and crush it up (humiliating process if there ever is one)

i should have relized that i needed to put on the other crush washer, but i didnt at the time, i just tightened it more

now it still dripps one drop about every hour, and i threw away the darned washer, so i will have to dig threw the trash to get it on there now...

man it was a LONG day, and i gotta get some sleep (i MAY end up dreaming about mercedes transmission filters chasing me and crushing me with unused crush washers, but thats a while away)

i just have a question about how to get the other crush washer on there, or if its even a problem... should i just quickly remove the drain plug and jam my finger in it to stop the flow of oil, and then put on the washer, or is there a trick to it?
I just really love cars today
Nathan

Old 10-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

aluminum washer works better than copper.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 AM

o, forgot to mention it, they were al washers in the kit, and on the car

so is there any trick to doing it, or do i just gotta bite my lip and go for it?

Nathan

Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

there isn't a trick on it, but if you want to try something, do it when the oil is not so hot. by this way, you can plug it with your finger while wondering where the oil will squirt next.
wrap your arm with thick towel for it will flow down to your funny bone.

the less oil you spill, the higher points you will get.