General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1976 240D will not start this morning. Ran perfect last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Default 1976 240D will not start this morning. Ran perfect last night.

I purchased a 240D about two weeks ago with 143k. Ran good. Drove it about 300 miles. I parked it one night and the next morning it refused to start. I know little about diesels. The glowplug indicator is working. Car cranks. It was so sudden, I am almost thinking that something let go with the shutoff value in the injector pump when I last shut the car down, because there was no indication of a problem the last time it ran. The owners manual said how to bleed the air from the fuel lines so I thought I would try that. It didn't help, but what I noticed was that a braided fuel line, connected to asmall cleaninline filter,spurted a little fuel out when I used the hand pump to bleed the system. Is that small hole enough to stop the car from running, especially when I think it only leaks when under the pressure of the hand pump? I was thinking if the injector pump is sucking gas all the way from the tank that even with a small hole in the line the pump would suck air through the braided hose before being able to pull fuel all the way from the tank. With that in mind I try using a piece of duct tape, wrapped tightly around the hose as a temporary aid to stop air from being sucked in, if in fact there is negative pressure at that point in the fuel system: Still no start. I would fix the braided line but it is crimped into/connects to, a metal flange on a metal line and I haven't quite figured out how toconnect anew piece of hose toit yet.

*What components are between the injector and the fuel tank to aid in fuel delivery? Is there apump that pushes the fuel to the injector pump or does the injector pump pull the fuelall the way from the tank by itself?
*Is there a way to test for fuel delivery at the injector? If Idisconnect the line at one of the injectors, and crank the engine, should the fuel shoot put or dribble out?
*Is there a starter fluid counter part in the diesel world that I could shoot into the intake, so I could al least confirm that it is a fuel problem?

Thanks