General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

190E, Fed-up, Replaced entire fuel system.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default 190E, Fed-up, Replaced entire fuel system.

Event: So I pulled the 190 out to wash it and noticed it was fueling improperly again and in the time it took me to drive to the city and back for an errand in the CLK(3hrs), the 190 was covered in giant ants and I had to pull yet another 9ft. snake out of the engine bay.It was a yellow snake instead of a black snake this time.I do not know what kind it was; I'll look it up later.So I pull 'em out, slam him on the ground, and shout " this is MY blinking car!"Ibecame angry.

Reaction: Well, I became fed up with the trouble, and ordered an entire brand newfuel injection system for the 190. I bought everything from the fuel pump all the way to the injectors, with the air meter and fuel distributor in the middle.I mean I bought every clamp, bracket, seal, sensor, bolt, hose, line, module, and lever from the rear to the front, by George. It was all corroded anyway. Of course it was an impetuous decision, but I am exited about the 190 now.

Most of the parts are "bolt on", and I've installed thembefore 350,000 miles. This time I want to replace all the fastners with stainless steel, and coat the bare aluminum and zinc parts with clear-polyeurathane for protection so they don't corrode immediately. Now I have heard that there are precautions to take with the fuel-distributor and air-meter. Something about "do not take the Fuel-distributor apart", and "only the Dealer can tune the air-meter"! I want to get everything assembled and coated the way I want, and take it to the dealer for fine tuning. Please offer any advise about the matter.

Blue

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/5331E2D0ADB34CF08348A1D6C0F97232.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 190E, Fed-up, Replaced entire fuel system.

ok, this is what i'm talking about. Right here. Yesterday everything was working like new, and today the ignition coil just stopped working...This car is going to get de-bugged. I'm determined.

Blue

Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Hi This is not me being nosey, but could you give me an idea of the cost of a new fuel injection system. I have a 1990 2.6 auto and have a problem, when it is not used every day, it plays up, it is ok cold but when up to temp misfires, stops and will not start untill completely cold again. Running out of idea's. Please feel free to e-mail me if you dont want to publish the information to the world.
Thanks, Mark.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem sounds like the ingnition coil to me. When they go bad, they work until they warm-up then theystart acting out.Of course, I don't claim to know everything.

I'll Email you my expenseon parts, but I did all the installation myself. I insisted on exact replacement parts, and accepted no substitutes or "upgrades" (wrong part).They gave me a slight discount for placing a large order.
So far everything is working like a brand new car again, and I am very pleased.Originally I didn't want to spend the money, but Iwasdealing with these freakish problems whichwere so glitchy that testingcould barely be performed. I mean I wouldtry to test fuel pressure, and the pumps would only come on half the time. Then I get the car running and theignition spark would crap-out, and no tuning adjustmentshad any affect.All that stuff really needed to bejunked.Those old parts made me feel like I was going crazy. I would test something and get a weird reading, no reading, or a different readingeach time,and think I was doing something wrong.I finally decided it wasn't me!

Now, everything works every time; testing and tuning is so much easier. I'm getting the readings I'm supposed to get,and adjustments are actually behaving like the instructions say they should.The engine compartment looks great! No corrosion. I'm so glad I did this!

Blue