General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

03 sl500 flood car drives but. . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Default 03 sl500 flood car drives but. . .

I bought this flood car at auction and really need a MB tech type person to tell me a thing or two about computer placement and even fuse layout (the fuse diagram in the tool kit got wet too).
the car starts and runs and drives, but almost none of the interior accessories work ei the audio says "low voltage" when you turn the volume ****. The top does nothing. the seats work then dont, (mostly dont) the steering wheel wont move up or down, in or out, but I saw it move when opening and closing the door once. Strange. Anyway, I'm sure there's a chassis computer that commands a large # of these things. ? ? ?
Anyone can tell me this, open your hood and next to the battery is a small 2nd fuse box, towards the cowl (rear) there is a large red wire with white stripe pluging into the box. DOES this wire show 12 volts+ ?
Same box there are two large fuses, a 50 amp next to the big wire, and an orange 40 amp (I think), the 50 shows 12 volts+ but the orange shows nothing (it may be a ground side fuse) does yours light the test light? ANYONE? FNC455@COMCAST.NET

Old 09-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Default RE: 03 sl500 flood car drives but. . .

Hi,
Water and electronics don't mix!! You car is showing the classic symptoms of a car that has got wet.

Unfortunately repair of these types of problems is time consuming and requires expert knowledge unless you have the budget to swap out controllers "just in case". The car has about 30+ computers on board and they are all connected via a network known as the CAN. Signals are sent down the CAN and receivers (features like seat move) then operate as instructed by the message which travels on the CAN throughout the car.

Electronics are not like simple electrical circuits which are basically On/Off. They are digital.

However your problem may be very simple and due just to a single connection or alternatively it could be much more involved and expensive.

Issues are:
Exactly where, how (this will help to determine extent) the car got wet.
Next is exactly what doesn't work or works intermittently.
Next is your DIY capability. Your questions regarding the main electrical connections close to the battery suggest that you are not very technically orientated and therefore I wonder whether this problem is within your capability to resolve.

For example. The radio is telling you that it is seeing low voltage. This is a good starting point since all electronic circuits must see the correct voltage otherwise they shut down and report a fault. Next step is to determine what the voltage is at the radio and then to trace the supply back to source to determine where the volt drop is occurring. This supply will no doubt be through the body electronics controller which is sited at the rear of the engine compartment in a black box. This unit has about 30 wires going to it.....It may simply be the connector that has got wet and corroded. It may be the controller itself. You need to look and observe as you go. A body controller will be $00's of dollars (guess) and changing it may well make no difference.

If you want to proceed and feel competent to start measuring voltages etc. I will see if I can help further subject to the answers to the initial questions I have raised.

You no doubt secured the car for a good price. The guys that auctioned it knew how tricky these problems can be to resolve.

However the good thing is that maybe things aren't too bad since you state the engine is running fine. No warning lights at all. Correct? If not what is showing.

Stuart.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 PM

The previous owner was contacted, and he stated that the car took water due to the top being left down in a storm. ( I'm not sure I buy this) He said about 8" of water. ? ? ? Your guess about my capability is pretty much on, though the reason why I was checking where I was checking was A) a lack of knowledge, B) I do know that just because the bottom of the car got wet doesnt mean that a circuit wouldn't short and cause a large fuse to pop above. Hey, I gotta start somewhere. You learn something new every day - I now know there is a BOSE speaker enclosed in a box under the pass floor, and a huge trunk of small guage wire, and I know too how to change out my passenger compartment air filters. I found one of the many computers behind the right kick plate, and it was dry and very oiled.
There is a few salvage yards that sell. Check car-part.com its a parts locater. they have a lot of the computers for this particular ride for $100 each average. knowing if I can simply unplug and plug in is handy. Ford for example you must program the computer after installing it. FORD! go figure. lose your new lexus key....like $4000 for the key and computer. Anyway I always appreciate addl info, and I'm not qualified, no, but it's a challenge ;-)

Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 AM

So it got real wet inside!!
NOT good news I'm afraid.
If you consider Ford are a problem because of the need to code computers after fitment etc. you are in for a bad ride.
Yes I like a challenge also but trying to solve digital signal problems on a car that has got wet and your lack of general electrical skills may be an impossible task.
However. I'll see if I can help but this MAYBE VERY DIFFICULT and time consuming....and expensive! On the other hand....
If you are still up for a challenge I suggest you contact me via PM and provide your regular email address so that we can swap pictures etc.
I also need to know a lot more about what does and doesn't work. You did not advise whether you have any warning lights on. I assume all lights work when you turn the ignition on. Please confirm.
I also note your comment DRY but WELL OILED. An ECU shouldn't have oil on it? Can you get a photo of location and condition etc.
can you tell me a bit about yourself. Where you live, skills etc.
Stuart