General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

03 CL55 Seat Memory not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Default 03 CL55 Seat Memory not working

My just aquired 2003 CL55 is having seat memory issues that the dealer could not find. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. When I put seat back forward for rear passenger to get in or out, the seat does not return to the position it was in prior. I need to push seat memory button 1 to return it to original position. I have also turned off the option where the steering wheel and seat move up and back for ingress/egress since at times it didn't return to the original position either. I'm trying to identify where the problem is so I can instruct the dealer to look there.

Considered putting some Ginko in the tank but then I read studies show Ginko has no benefit to memory loss.

thank you

Old 05-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Default RE: 03 CL55 Seat Memory not working

Hi,
These sorts of problems are tricky to solve.
I'm not actually familiar with the functionality of the seat on your vehicle, just the general principles of how the circuits work.
Firstly have you had this vehicle for some time and can confirm that this problem is new rather than having been present from when you first got the car. I ask since I'm surprised you expect the seat to return to its original position after a change without having to input a memory number. The seat may indeed be cleverier than I was expecting but need to be sure that your expectations are correct.

Please provide any additional info you have. Mileage, Market (USA?), VIN, Is it just the drivers seat or both seats etc. Any additional symptoms.

Did you take it to a main dealer. Sounds strange that they can't put it right. Usual problem is that they charge an arm and a leg. Did they do anything or just say they couldn't fix it.

The steering wheel / seat ingress/egress problem is likely to be a different problem and is relatively common on S Class. Do you get a warning that the steering wheel is not in the correct position when you try to drive.

Any pattern to when it does and doesn't work correctly. i.e. wet weather, cold, etc.

Stuart

Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

just initialize the seat positions first.

it must know the end of fore, aft, headrest and backrest position.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Snanceki and Sleepwalker, I am second owner of the and just aquired it 3 weeks ago so I have no history of the seat memory problem. Car has 17k miles on it and is perfect otherwise. It is still under warrenty so I have it back down at teh dealer today to see if they can identify problem..last time in they could not replicate the problem. It is intermittent and I should have mentioned that before. As for the seat returning to original position after seat back is moved forward for my kids to get in the back seat, the dealer confirmed today that yes it should return to the setting it was at before seat back was pulled forward. It's actually both front seats that do their own thing sometimes. Maybe they'll find something today. Maybe its just a gremlin visiting every so often. Anyway, the car is perfect in all other areas and I love driving it.

I apprecaite your feedback.

thank you

Old 05-09-2006, 04:41 AM

Hi,
When the problem is intermittent it is evem more difficult to determine the cause of such problems.
With a bit of luck the seat ECU will have recorded a transient fault code and this will give some direction to problem resolution.
Symptoms suggest that there is a poor/intermittent connection at one of the connections in the seat circuitry since the system works fine most of the time. ECU's often get blamed because the way they work is not understood.
If the dealer does fix it let us know what they find.
If they don't your best bet is to diconnect, inspect (to make sure no pins in multiconnectors have backed out) and reassemble each connection in the circuit starting with the components on the underside of the seat. Since the seat moves it is possible that it is "pulling" on one of the connections when it moves. This will require the seats to be removed from the vehicle.
Stuart