Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Would removing my A/C system entirely save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Default Would removing my A/C system entirely save gas?

My 1982 240D has an A/C system that will not run again under my watch. It's way too far down the priority list. My guess is that it has not run in at least 10 years. Anyway, I have heard from a few fellas that the extra junk under the hood that used to run the A/C just adds weight. Can I remove the system and not affect the motor? Isn't there a pulley that runs the compressor? By removing this would I potentially improve the mileage? I'm getting kind of fired up to start yanking stuff out! Thanks in advance.[8D]

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Default RE: Would removing my A/C system entirely save gas?

The belt that runs the A/C compressor is designated for that purpose only anddoes not drive any other accessories. As long as your compressor pulley spins freely there will not be any undue stress on the engine, so there will be no measurable gain in performance or HP by removing the belt. The weight of the compressor is negligible considering how heavy the car is anyway. I say save yourself the work and just leave everything in there.

If you find yourself unable to sleep over it you can take a pair of side cutters and remove the belt. But I wouldn't waste any time on it - you may indeed someday be glad the compressor is still in there.

[sm=smiley20.gif]