Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

What is the purpose of the vacuum pump

Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Thumbs down What is the purpose of the vacuum pump

I am aware of all the vacuum operated systems in a W123 style Mercedes... Door locks, sunroof, heater controls. But apart from all that, does the vacuum pump do anything for the engine? The reason I ask is that I bought an OM616 engine (my favorite of all) to swap into my Ford Ranger pickup truck (also my favorite). There would be less clutter without all the pump hardware. Matter of fact, what is the anatomy of the pump anyway? I'm really curious. There is the pulley driven part of it and then the part that fits into the engine. How does it work? I'm a novice and I hope someone would be kind enough to explain.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by frasmus View Post
I am aware of all the vacuum operated systems in a W123 style Mercedes... Door locks, sunroof, heater controls. But apart from all that, does the vacuum pump do anything for the engine? The reason I ask is that I bought an OM616 engine (my favorite of all) to swap into my Ford Ranger pickup truck (also my favorite). There would be less clutter without all the pump hardware. Matter of fact, what is the anatomy of the pump anyway? I'm really curious. There is the pulley driven part of it and then the part that fits into the engine. How does it work? I'm a novice and I hope someone would be kind enough to explain.
"There is the pulley driven part..."
I am not sure what you mean by a Pulley?

If you want to eliminate the Vacuum Pump that is attached to the Engine you need to provide another source of Vacuum for the Vacuum Shutoff on the Fuel Injection Pump or find some manual means to shut the Engine off.

An intermittant Switch and a Small 12 Volt Vacuum Pump might be sufficient to provide Vacuum for shutoff.
On eBay they frequently have small Ford 12 Volt Vacuum Pumps that is ussd to operate the Vacuum Accessories.
The also have more expensive an more Electrical Current drawing 12 Volt Vacuum Pumps to assist the Vacuum for Power Brakes but they may draw enough Electrical Current to need a Realy or a high Amp Switch.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
He cannot delete the vacuum pump, the pickup needs it for the brake booster.
I fogot about that.

But, ther is Electric Brake Booster Pumps. New ones are expensive. I have 2 used Electric Vacuum Pumps and one New one; but the Vacuum Switch is around $30 each.

I replaced the hard Plastic Tube on the Main Vacuum Line and plugged the Vacuum Pump end off and hooked the Electric Vacuum Pump up and drove around with it and everything functioned normally.

That particular Hella Vane type Vacuum Pump Pump got too hot and I had no Vacuum Switch to turn it off

I have better hopes for the Ford Electric Vehicle double Diaphragm Pump I bought but I have gotten around to installing it as I still have no Vacuum Shutoff Switch.

The Ford Pump has text saying that the Hella Pump is the one that got hot and the Peiburg one a Piston Pump that seems to be mostly Plastic. The Pic of the Pieburg is not mine but I have a used one like it.

Attached Thumbnails What is the purpose of the vacuum pump-ford-continental-electric-vacuum-pump-12vdc-ford-a426c-%24115.jpg   What is the purpose of the vacuum pump-volvo-electric-vacuum-pump.jpg   What is the purpose of the vacuum pump-peirburg-electric-vacuum-pump-may-14.jpg