Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

What to do? 87 300TDT Totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Default RE: What to do? 87 300TDT Totalled?

The only way the insurance company keeps the car is if they are the insured. If someone hit you and his insurance is paying for your damage, and they total the car, you keep the car. I just went through the same thing. I have a 92 300d 2.5 turbo. Just rebuilt the engine, put a new redesigned head from MB, special order, $1500 just for the head. New valves, seats, etc, new timing chain, everything. The whole job at MB was over $5900 buck. Car had 150,000 miles on it. Needed a new headgasket and the last owner drove it, overheated it and cracked the head. Anyway, I had the car back for two days, sitting in traffic, some guy in a new BMW, smaked into the back of my car, after we had all came to a stop, pushed me into the car infront of me. The car infront of me had a higher bumper, and it went into my grill. Needless to say, I was very angery. The guy who hit me was a very nice guy and told the cops the truth. I got covered by the guys insurance company. They wanted to total the car and give me $5000. I told them to go F themselfs and that I had rescipts for all work done on my car and that the least I would take was $10,000. They kept talking to me about book value. I called my insurance company GEICO and they told me what to say to Allstate. They told me to tell them that I wanted "Replacement value" not "Book value" because some cars you just can't get at book values, IE...MB diesels. I took the car to one of allstates auth repair center, and I got my car back two weeks later. All new parts, not from a junk yard. The bill they sent Allstate was for $7367.98. They paid it. They best part was....no frame damage, all, like yours, plastic, and sheet metal, fender, hood. Now the car runs like a champ. I drive it 130 miles a day, 31-32 MPG. No salvage title. Stick to your guns. Make them fix it. All the work you put into it counts. Don't let them run over you, you got hit, you didn't do the hitting......Oh and if they start to be a holes......"My back is killing me......"
Rob

Old 04-03-2006, 11:47 PM

what the heck was i thinking......oh i wasn't thinking at all. sorry about that. should i insure my 1981 300 CD with 69,000 miles on it for full coverage? i was under the impression that it's not worth it. i am really not savey with this kind of thing and in MA the ins comp say the car is WORTHLESS,pretty much. opinions please. i do not know about book as opposed to replacement value. what would this car be worth for replacement. what is it worth to you if you were looking at it. more info. garaged year round. miniscule rust spot under the paint still at the drivers side front quarter. interior PERFECT. no accidents ever. i think the BULBS are origional equipment. what does everyone think????????? i'm NOT selling my baby, so dont ask me. but should i insure it fully? thanks andrew f

Old 04-09-2006, 09:25 AM

this is a tuff situation to say the least............ i insured both my benz s on collectors insurance. each at $15,000 value.......down side is that your limited to 3000 miles a year. good thing if car gets wrecked, ins co writes a check for declared value. no arguments.

in this case if car is still driveable, take a settlement, and keep the car..

rearended ? make sure you also get checked out medically. a minor accident can cost u down the road health wise. i wrecked a car back at 18 years old, my neck and back are a mess now. never got medical attention then paying for it now.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM

so how much does collectors ins cost you?

Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 PM

You got a settlement from their ins co, and you can keep the car.(not un-heard of).....What more do you want?

Donate it, sell it, plant ot in your garden! Take the money and buy another..............