Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Questions about a 1983 300TDT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Default Questions about a 1983 300TDT

Hello,
My name is Chris Spaulding and I have recently purchased a 1983 300TDT. The has a few issues that I am trying to get sorted. I am pretty mechanical, but this car has some systems that I am not familiar with and have not worked on in the past. I will list the problem areas and would appreciate any thought and feedback on what might be done to fix the problems.

1. The HVAC system is not operating. The fan will not blow on low, high or auto. I have attempted selecting all of the vent settings and have changed the heat range, with no results. If I have the fan on high with the car off, and begin to turn the key to the position before the START (when the glow plug light glows), the fan will blow. Once the key is turned to START the fan stops. Once the car is running, the fan stops.

2. The gauge cluster light does not work. The lights illuminating the shifter letters (P N D 3 2 1) work.

3. The dome light will not turn on when any of the doors are opened. It will light in two settings when the switch is turned.

4. Cosmetic problem. The paint (maroon) on the hood, roof and tailgate is faded. I plan to repaint the tailgate, as the fading is very bad. On the hood and roof, I understand that the actual pigment in the paint can fade and that using rubbing or polishing compound will only affect the clear coat. Is this true? Is there anything that I can do or use that will reduce the fading without repainting?

Any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Default RE: Questions about a 1983 300TDT

Hi Chris. just a start for ya, as I'm a "new" MB owner too!

The inst cluster lights are always a problem on these. Of the 2 ***** sticking out, I believe it's the left one is a rhyostat (sp?) which controls the brightness of the inst. lights. Turn it back and forth gently ( in the dark, with the lights on) and see if you can get "some" lights. Then leave it alone

Your paint, if original, is probably not clear coated. Just try a little compound in an inconspicuous spot. Maroon is the worst of all the colors for fade.

Joe

Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM

Is this the Chris Spaulding of Land Rover Fame? If so, Hi from Terry in CT (many land rovers under the bridge, still too many here)
I too recently bought a 300TD wagon. The seller stated the entire climate control system was inoperative. She had taken it to her mechanice and when they couldn't diagnose it quickly she threw up her hands, bought a Toyota, and voila, I bought the car.
I learned along time ago, look at the stupidest, simplest things first. She said all the fuses were good, so that couldn't be the problem. What neither she nor her mechanic saw was the fine print on the fuse legend
"Fuse for Climate Control OUtside of Box" or something pretty close to that. NOTHING in the manual about a seperate fuse, but there, in front of the fuse box was one single, large current fuse, inside a box easily missed, not looking like a fuse, was a blown, high current, screw-in element type fuse. Patched in a 30 amp spade, and Voila, Climate control works, including Fans, AC, the works.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Terry, I am the Chris Spaulding of Land Rover infamy! I have gotten most of the problems sorted out.
1. The problem with the HVAC was related to the ignition cylinder! When I turned back the key a bit, the fan blew. Had the ignition cylinder replaced and the HVAC is opperating perfectly.
2. Lights in the gauge cluster were out because of a bad rehostat. Had the rehostat replaced and it is working, dim but working.
3. Dome light was on the wrong setting. I did not realize there is a timer that keeps the light on after the door is closed. Didn't wait long enough for it to go out, and thought it was on the ON setting, not the DOOR setting.
4. Now for the best news. The pain on the car was looking TERRIBLE. I spent some time using Meguires Scratch X and their step 1 and step 2 products (I am forgetting the names) and then Zymol wax. The results are unbelievable! I wish I had some "before" pictures to show the difference. I will post the "after" pictures to show the results. I have completed the hood and fromt fends and will take "before" pictures of the roof and the "after".

Thanks for all the feedback! Loving the car and looking forward to get it waxed, serviced and on the road.

Chris