Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

vito 111 no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Default vito 111 no start

Hi all,

I don't know who's on here as far as world market or techs, but I'm lost and stumped. I'm an American market passenger car tech, so I really never see these vans and I don't have any good diag. resources. Can't eve find anything on my tech help forums.

Anyhow, 2004 Vito 111CDI, 4cyl. turbo. Car was towed in as a no start. It will crank and fire, then immeadiately die. scanned and found codes for CDI control unit malfunction, injector output stage general error. (MB code number 2123-008 per SDS-DAS). I performed the guided tests for injector internal resistance and injector wiring, all checks ok. Since those were the only listed possible tests, I had to start shooting in the dark a bit.

I checked the cam and crank sensors and the wiring, all are good. I checked the quantity control and rail pressure solenoids, all are good. I read actual values during crank cycle, cam and crank read sync, rail pressure is at 560bar, all values are ok. After finding no mechanical or electrical reason for the vehicle not to start, i drained the fuel tank, c;leaned out the lines, and put in some good fuel. That night I got the thing to start and I thought all was good, I went home happy.

The next morning I came in to pull it out of the shop and no start. Same code. After some cranking and bleeding, it started and ran for about 5min, then died again. I havent been able to get it to do anything since. I've tried draining vehicle power for about 2 hours aith the battery cables tied together. I've checked the control module version coding. I've checked for software updates. I'm at a total standstill, and the customer wants this thing back.

If anyone can offer any advice to a very confused and frustrated tech, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm not familliar with the new stuff, but it sounds like there might be air in the fuel system. On the older engines air will cause exactly the troubles you are describing. I would be looking for a leak even if it looks minor. How is fuel supplied to the injectors? Is it constant? Are the injectors simply fired with a solenoid, or are they boosted with oil, like a ford? If they're boosted what is the HP oil pressure? Is it enough? Just thinking out loud, hope this helps.