Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Vacuum hoses everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Default Vacuum hoses everywhere?

Greetings all!
This is my 1st MB and first diesel. My My, I can't remember seeing so many vacuum connections since i worked on my dad's early 70's Corvette...'85 300D Turbo in seemingly good shape, but lost the power brakes and smelled like they were binding on the ride home. I assume that the booster line or something similar has a leak, as the vac pump is working all the other typical things it seems to (used the "Search" function to see what this usually entails).

So I have ordered a double CD manual that I hope will help me sort out what I'm looking at, but are there any "typical" pitfalls I will encounter on this or does anyone have some good suggestions on things to go ahead and change now?The car has sat for over a year and while it started on the 3rd turn witha new battery, I want to go ahead and do the "musts" before converting to WVO.

All suggestions welcomed!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Vacuum hoses everywhere?

So my CD manual came in the mail and while full of detailed info on servicing everything, I do not see any good photos or drawings of the vacuum system and where all these lines go and control. The photos are old,grainy and small.

I really need to gain an understanding where certain lines run to. I have one broken brittle line that I can't see where it was attached and suspect it is my brake issue. Plus 'd like to go ahead and replace all the lines that could be an issue as I put this old girl back in action...

Can anybody direct me to a source for this, if it exists?

Thanks plenty for your help!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Mercedessource (Kent Bergsma) has a reasonably good mini-manual covering some typical vacuum issues for 123 cars. Honestly, you will learn a great deal on this forum by using the Search function. We're pretty active here, and you will undoubtedly find valuable information on topics of interest in the archives. Chances are quite good your questions have already been answeredif you will take a few minutes to Search. Welcome!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the response!

I've been wandering through the "search" function for several things and it has definately helped. This forum must beusing a very similarfront end as another forum I've been a member of for several years, so the format is very famillar.

I'll check your suggestion out as I really need some sort of visual to sort out all the vacuum spagetti...