Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

V6 diesel?

Old 09-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Default V6 diesel?

I was under the impression that Mercedes was going to introduce the new V6 diesel for the 2006 model year. A check of a dealer's inventory shows the inline 6 is alive and well. Didn't Mercedes just set a spped record for 100,000 miles with that new V6? Any ideas on when it may be introduced? I'm in a buying mood and want to know all my options. Thanks

Old 09-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Default RE: V6 diesel?

I just recently purchased a 2006 E320 CDI (only 100 miles so far) and was told the new V6 was going to be released in 2006 for the 2007 models. Expect to see it in about May 2006 on the R-Class, the ML class and the E-class. But I'm not sure what order. The kicker is that it will be 50 states compliant but only where low sulfer diesel is available. I have not seen much low sulfer diesel in my area of baltimore maryland, but maybe it is around here somewhere.

In further reading, I found the hourse power is to be the roughly the same (~200-220), but the engine will be cleaner with a lifetime soot trap. MB did traps on the 300 turbo diesels in the 80s and had all kinds of trouble. This is suppose to change everything. V6 diesel exhaust to be cleaner than gas exhaust. Sound funny, huh. I think it will be manufactured in Alabama.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Bobby, good to see you over here. Good luck with the new car!

I was reading my fresh copy of the STAR last night and it said the V6 is not officially planned for the USA at this time - - perhaps that info is dated. It would be a crime if we don't get that piece of art!

vrathore, ULSD is available only in a tiny number of locations in the US at this time. We can buy it here in Boston but the guy charges a big premium for it. Folks in CA have had access to it for a number of years. I think it's there is limited availability in TX.

ULSD is supposed to go nationwide 12 months from now.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Other than the latest generation particulate trap(s), what does the v-engine promise? AFIK, the only advantages of v engines over in line engines is packaging efficiency and a (small) weight advantage. Typically in line engines produce more torque and less vibration, all other things equal.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 PM

I think the only real advantage of V engines is shorter block. Have you seen those multi-thousands HP ship's engines?
They are all in-line.
Than back to the cars. The in-line 12 would require quite long hood.
But it would be a dream for hobbyists working on them.
I had V8, 350 Oldsmobile diesel.
Just to unbolt the transmission I had to use 3-foot long flexible socket extensions.