Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Tranny screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Default Tranny screw

Changed my tranny fluid and found a broken screw in the pan. Everything still works well but is this the "calm before the storm?"

Attached Thumbnails Tranny screw-100_0268.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 AM

Tough choice. Unless someone can identify were it came from.

From the looks of it it has already passed through something that deformed it.

Was the pan clean when the previous trans fluid was changed?

I can only say what I would do. The is case pay now or maybe pay later. I say leave everthing alone and continue to do research on where it might have come from.

If the Transmission goes bad later, try to get a good used one or exchange it for a re-built one.
I think a re-built trans is going to cost the same if it is damage or has some simple problem like a slpping clutch or band; so long as they view it as a repairable core.

Otherwise you have to pay someone now to explore and find out where the screw came from. They may or may not find where it came from leaving you with the same decision.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
Tough choice. Unless someone can identify were it came from.

From the looks of it it has already passed through something that deformed it.

Was the pan clean when the previous trans fluid was changed?

I can only say what I would do. The is case pay now or maybe pay later. I say leave everthing alone and continue to do research on where it might have come from.

If the Transmission goes bad later, try to get a good used one or exchange it for a re-built one.
I think a re-built trans is going to cost the same if it is damage or has some simple problem like a slpping clutch or band; so long as they view it as a repairable core.

Otherwise you have to pay someone now to explore and find out where the screw came from. They may or may not find where it came from leaving you with the same decision.
I took a look in my Transmision book this is the area that showed Phillips Head Screws. You might want to drop your pan again and see if any of them are sheared off (you the shape of your taransmission filter and number of screws may not be the same). The good news is that it does not look to be an extremely critical part.

see thumbnails #6 is pointing to 3 Phillips Head Screws

Attached Thumbnails Tranny screw-trans.jpg   Tranny screw-transb.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 PM

I was thinking of getting a rebuilt tranny from a recently damaged 81 300D. Then again, I did drop the pan after a week it was nice and clean.

I have a non turbo tranny so the pan is smaller and the filter has 2 philips screws to hold it in place. So far things are normal. Thanks for your input.