Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Timing chain installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Default Timing chain installation

Need procedures for setting injection timing for a 1987 300D Mercedes. Hope some one could send pictures and clear instruction on 300d injection timing. Maybe someone can tell me what manual to buy for this car that would possibly help me complete this task.[&:]

Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Timing chain installation

Timing for the OM603 is 15 degrees after top dead center. Remove the 17mm plug on the side of the injection pump, located about 3 inches back from the diesel supply pump, just below the blue ID tag. Turn the engine (via crankshaft with socket and ratchet) clockwise until you are at 15 ATDC. Look to see the bar, or what looks like the business end of a slotted screw driver, come into view inside the 17mm plug hole (you will need a mirror) when the bar is lined up center in the hole, and the pointer at the forward flywheel points to 15 ATDC, you are there, and if not, you will need to loosen all IP bolts, I think there are three of them, then you can turn the IP body with the built-in adjuster, until you see the bar. Remember, the crank shaft can be one full revolution off. If you do not see the bar appear near, or see it at all, when the flywheel is turned in vacinity of 15 ATDC the first try, then turn the engine another complete revolution, you should see it! Also, never ever turn the engine counter-clockwise, never! Good luck............BB

Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Timing chain installation

Thank's Bob, It's took me a week to get this answer. It's good to meet good people and thank's so much hope you have a good weekend.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Hi I have a 1985 300SD, I did a valve job, and replaced the chain, and turbo. It started right up, but then it pinged. I think the timing is way off. It runs smooth for a while the loads up. How do you set the timing on the IP. I have no idea. I'm looking at it but don't know where to start. Thanks dana

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dana Jr South
Hi I have a 1985 300SD, I did a valve job, and replaced the chain, and turbo. It started right up, but then it pinged. I think the timing is way off. It runs smooth for a while the loads up. How do you set the timing on the IP. I have no idea. I'm looking at it but don't know where to start. Thanks dana

I left you a "Visitor Message".
I do not like the idea of Eyeballing the timing mark in the Fuel Injection Pump as stated for the 603 Engine but your Engine has the same setup.

What is supposed to go into the hole is a Fuel Injection Pump Locking/Pin or a probe for the AB Light that is used for timing.

The other Timing Choice you have is to use the Drip Timing Method.

You can do an Ebay Search to see what the Drip Tube Looks like.

And you can do a Google search for Drip Timing a Mercedes Fuel Injection Pump for more specific instructions.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 06-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM

I did an engine rebuild and used the drip method. I made the tool from an old injector line. Sorry, I don't recall the procedure but it was something like engine TDC #1 and rotate the injector pump until a certain amount of drops per minute. I really can't remember but it was easy once set up, and set it and didn't touch it for 200K miles....