Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

strange sound at rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Default RE: strange sound at rear axle

There is No way bad tires to give that noise; that is not even an option; the click noise and only when going from rev to forward

Old 09-26-2006, 01:58 PM

How about something with the brakes? Or a bushing on the rear suspension? Seems like you have eliminated anything with the drivetrain. You have a real head scratcher there.....Can you put it on a lift with the wheels turning? That might shed some light.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM

I did; the problem does not happen if the car is off the ground; it is when the wheels are touching the ground is when I hear it.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Bad axle?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Hi

Or could be the drive shaft? Well see when i let off the gas paddle the sound is comes from the front, but when i acclearate the sound comes from the rear.

Thx

Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 AM

the noise only and only comes if I was going on reverse and then forward; or if I was at a complete stop and press on the pedal; the difference between both; is that if reverse then forward the noise is click from the back; you can almose feel it; the car would move then the click will catch up; if I was at a full stop then forward; the noise will be grinding noise.
it really makes no difference if I take my foot off the pedal or not; there is no noise what so ever if iwas driving forward at any speed.

The axles were checked by -so far- two different MB mechanics; as well as the drive shaft; as well as the flex disks; front and back; and the bearing as well; the diff was replaced also and nothing; the pro MB mechanics now are playing the guess games with me (since I drive MB; they seem to think that I have unlimited resources for them test).

any one has or had this issue; can you please let me know what the fix was.

thank you

Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM

What about a broken trans mount causing the drivetrain to come out of alignment? Just a thought....

Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Rear Axle Bearings. If no noise when wheels are off ground, but noise when wheels on ground, the bearings are then under much more load. If races are worn badly, the bearings may be shifting when the rotation of the wheel is changed.

I'd check the bearings - they can get make a lot of noise (roaring) if worn badly, though you usually only hear this at higher speeds.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:01 AM

Here goes another $1000 down the drain; I took it to the dealer again; they took the entire drive shaft out; apparently there is a bolt that bolts onto the transmission after the drive shaft is out; and they checked it to see if it was loose; and it was not ( $500); the next thing is the shocks ( $550); and nothing is changing; so now they think that there is rubber pieces that hold the rear of the car to the subframe; and those might be going bad; so for them to replace those it will cost me $1500; but again there is no guarantee that it will fix it.
So it seems that the guess of any one any where is as good as the certified mercedes mechanics.

As far as the rear axle bearing; they did check the axles; and the play in the axles ( as per the mechanic) is better than normal and most certainly it is not the axles.

Any one with more guesses; I am frustrated with this car; and with the MB dealer that any other car; just any other car is better than a Benz.
[:@]

Old 10-01-2006, 02:46 PM

Hi

How about the transmisssion, Maybe there is something worned out in there that had to be replaced

Thx

Quick Reply: strange sound at rear axle