Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

So I pulled started my auto 240D! I could use some advice now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Exclamation So I pulled started my auto 240D! I could use some advice now!!!

(I apoligize if this is a little scattered)
1982 240D 109,000 miles Auto.

So as I stated in my previous posts I've been having some issues with my car. With some of your guys help I was able to narrow it down to a gummed up fuel system. I took everything apart and cleaned it out. (Blew compressed air threw the lines and took the pick-up out of the tank. Thats was the worst part) After that I started getting fuel to the engine again. But was still unable to start it.

After being on the side of the turnpike for two days working on it, I decided to tow it to the rest stop 9 miles away. I wasn't able to find a dolly or a trailer at that time of the night so we flat towed it with a strap. When we got to where we were going my brother told me the car was running and it was. We realized he had put it in Drive instead of Nuetral while towing. I knew the car needed oil so I tried to put some in while it was running but there was so much pressure coming out of the valve cover it blew the oil I was pouring everywhere. I shut the car down topped the oil of and tried to start it again. It wouldn't start. So knowing what worked the first time we pull started it again and drove it about 60 miles home. The car ran great the entire time but wouldn't start again when we go to our destination.

I understand this is alot but does anyone have ideas for where I should start with this car? I would appreciate it alot. I have alot of automotive knowledge but not alot of diesel knowledge. If you need some more information I'll be more than happy to provide it. Thank you!!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM

I would first check to make sure all your glow plugs and the glow plug relay are working if you have not done that already. You may have plugged up the new primary or secondary fuel filter with the gunk. Being towed probably cranks the engine faster than the starter does.

Good luck!!!

John

Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Rings then? Thats what I was begining to think. Not good... How do I run a compression test on it? And what kind of numbers am I looking for?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Alright. Wheres the fitting screw into the head for the pressure tester?