Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Smoking and snitching in California

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Default Smoking and snitching in California

I just got a nice letter from the state air resources board that says my car was "observed emitting excessive smoke" by an anonymous tipster on a day in December 2009.

I wonder if the snitcher realized my car was a diesel, or even if it really was smoking. But CA seems to have already come to a conclusion.

Included was a "Smoking vehicle response form" that I have been asked to complete and return.
Are you the registered owner?
Parts repaired/replaced? Engine Adjustment?
Date vehicle repaired
Please attach all receipts for parts purchased and repairs performed
Repairs made by owner/mechanics shop/no repairs made
Check appropriate box: My engine has been repaired and does not emit excessive smoke/My engine is not repaired for the following reason (fill in the blank)
Signature/Date

So should I fill this out and send it in?

I understand that CA does this for fireplaces too.
And we are encouraged to snitch in other ways: http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

I guess I should start watching my neighbors for odd behavior - they might be terrorists.

Sadly,

Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM

The other questions are who reported it (Police or ?) and how was it determined you had excessive smoke?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 PM

FI and 9112: Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the support.

FI: My question was rhetorical, I have no intention of sending in the form. There is no law that says I have to do so, and I think we still have the 5th amendment. If they think my car was producing excessive smoke in violation of the law they can prove it - without any help from me. I am exempt from testing, but OTOH there may be a provision in the California Vehicle Code for excessive exhaust regardless of testing exemptions. Regardless, my car is well maintained and does not produce excessive smoke.

9112: The other underlying question is: Just what defines excessive? The letter says that the report was phoned in to the CARB 800 snitch line "by a concerned citizen".

I'm just dismayed by the whole deal - we have these government agencies with 800 numbers so we can turn each other in. Each agency has its own snitch line. Typical government waste and inefficiency. They should just have 1 snitch line for everything - 1-800-CALLKGB.

Regards,

Last edited by jim x 3; 04-03-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 AM

I had this happen to me when I lived in Buena Park California (this is in 1971). I had an 54 Cadillac that had a Blow By issue. The Blow By would build up under that huge Hood at idle and when you took off you would leave a cloud of smoke behind. When the Car was moving and under a load there was not much Blow By.

However, the Police pulled me over and was going to write a Ticket for excessive smoke. However, he got a Radio Call and left without writing the ticket.

So the issue is clear. Either they site you or the do not. Anything else is a request.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by jim x 3
The other underlying question is: Just what defines excessive?
Aside from the assault on your liberty, aren't you concerned about why your engine is smoking in the first place?!

Kent Bergsma of Mercedessource.com sells a couple of useful manuals for troubleshooting diesel engine problems, including smoking.

Good luck!

Last edited by ridgeback_pilot; 04-04-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ridgeback_pilot
Aside from the assault on your liberty, aren't you concerned about why your engine is smoking in the first place?!

Good luck!
It depends on when he is having the smoke. Under hard acceleration; even with a new Engine a Diesel can put out gray smoke (I am speaking of one with no CAT or Soot Filter). A used Engine more so.

After the Car speed has leveled off the smoke should go away.

The other time Diesels can smoke is right after Starting and you do not warm and start driving. Until you are up to operating temp you could get smoke.

An Engine that produces smoke all the time has a problem.

Part of the issue is what was he doing when was he observed smoking. If he was accelerating or the Engine not up to operating temp, he could have been smoking some.

Next did the observer think it was a Gas Car?

Another issue is; was the observer Tailgating and got a lung full of Smoke and got pissed off and decided to report instead of a Concerned Citizen.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM

This cracks me up. I had a lady pull along side my tail pipe side of my diesel truck and start complaining it stunk. I was idling and not smoking at least not in my mirror at the time, but as luck would have it my truck was slighly tuned up. She had both of her windows down I pulled ahead aligning my tail pipe her window. Stopped on the fuel and brake to watch my smoke shooting out her passenger window light turned green I left and was unable to see her car at all. So her and I know what diesel smoke looks and smells like. lol Thank heavens I live in Pa and don't have to worry about Cal laws or people. Been a few time I wish my 87 300D could do the same to a few people

Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Thumbs down No Wonder Diesel is Unpopular...

Originally Posted by lwbrewer
Thank heavens I live in Pa and don't have to worry about Cal laws or people.
Well, you certainly know how to be a good ambassador for diesel power...

We're thankful you live in Pennsylvania, too!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ridgeback_pilot
aren't you concerned about why your engine is smoking in the first place?!
R: Thanks for your concern. I have had, on occasion, my son or another person follow me while driving (both before and after this letter, BTW). My car does not emit observable smoke unless I'm accelerating on the local freeway onramp, which is short and uphill.

And I frequently have tailgaters while climbing the ramp, since there is now a traffic light at the bottom that stacks up a line of cars entering the freeway. A lot of drivers with big gas engines expect to be at 75mph at the top of the uphill section of the ramp. I expect to be at 55mph at that point - then there is a flatter section for merging.

There was a space in the letter for the location of the excessive smoke, but it was left blank. So I don't really know what the specific circumstances were.

As I said previously, my car is attended to and in good repair, given its age and mileage.

And FWIW, I don't advocate intentional smoke production for any reason.

And I am concerned about my, and your, personal liberties.

Regards,