Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

sent wife in to have the vacuum pump replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Default sent wife in to have the vacuum pump replaced

UPDATE
I talked to the tech over the phone. I asked him what he saw exactly i.e. how he knew that the coolant was mixing with transmission oil.
He said he saw white color coating ; greasy on the cap and this made him think that transmission fluid is mixing with coolant. Does this make sense? i.e. can a white greasy coating on the cap or the white plastic tank for coolant indicate that the coolant is mixing with transmission fluid.

Mechanic verbally estimated 2 hours and $260. I think ok, this is a great deal.
When she goes to pick up the car, he changes it to 365 + 12 for gasket + 3 hours of labor (about 200 more).
She protests but eventually stupidily signs their form and pays. Later I notice that the form also says rebuilt. The guy had said to her earlier that he does not like rebuilt.

This same mechanic was ok before and appeared honest.

What should I do now? Kill wife or ....

Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Default RE: sent wife in to have the vacuum pump replaced

This was Silverstar Automotive in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles.

Replacing the vacuum pump. They never called or informed her of an increase.

She never got a written estimate.

Would complaining to BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) or BBB do anything?[/align]
They did mention to her that there was some transmission fluid in the radiator and that the radiator needs to be replaced. We never had that done.
After a few days the car overheated with some smoke.
The large hose to the radiator was not attached at all and there was no coolant/water at all. Interesting, as this has never happened before. I connected the hose and added coolant. Car seems ok.
I don't know how to check whether the work is correct and the vacuum pump is ok and new or used.
In addition they kept the core yet claimed it was a new part.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:03 PM

The bureau of automotive repair loves this kind of story. California state law requires a signed estimate PRIOR to any work on a persons car by a shop. Any increases in labor or parts MUST be ok'd either by phone and documented on the repair order or in person and signed. Call them! Have your receipt in front of you when you call. The parts column on the repair order should have a part number that can be verified as a rebuilt or new part thru any parts supplier house. The large hose you refer to, is it the upper hose where it attaches to the radiator? If it is, the plastic neck of the radiator could have been fractured during Vac. pump replacement causing it to slip off. The neck is about two to three inches long when intact and about half that length if broken and the piece is inside the hose! check with BBB regarding any recent complaints to them re: this repair shop. I wrote service repair orders for approx 25 years in California and am well versed in the consumer laws of the state. In order to get back the replaced parts, you must ask for them to be returned at the time of write up. There is no requirement otherwise to return old parts.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 AM

I may just do that. I'll probably talk to them first. They are a new shop. Silver Star Automotive inLA (Eagle Rock)and there is not an entry for them at BBB.

Yes it's the upper large hose that attaches to radiator.
I took off the hose to look and coolant started pouring out immediately (engine still a little warm) so I put it back quickly (being a newbie, I did not know it would start coming out), but the neck did look broken or irregular and shorter. What's a good way to keep the coolant from coming out?

Why would the neck break during vac install?

Wife did ask for old parts back verbally but they said they needed them even though it's supposedly a new part.
There is no part number; both the pump and gasket state NPN. No part number?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Reaching down to remove the pump or removing a belt to gain access to the vacuum pump, the technician could have rested his arm on the hose, cracking the radiator neck. a good way to keep the coolant from coming out? drain it first. But I would have Silver Star do this so they can see first hand what happened. Having no part number on the receipt is one of 2 things, either they were lazy or the part is a used one. Once this neck is broken, the radiator must be replaced. Maybe thats what this OIL IN THE RADIATOR NEEDS REPLACED! was really all about. To cover up the fact that it broke? Good luck.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Talked to tech today. He said he saw white color coating ; greasy on the cap and this made him think that transmission fluid is mixing with coolant. Does this make sense?

Old 01-20-2007, 03:14 AM

If thats the case, have him remove the cap and show you! I still believe the cap was inadverntly broken and they need to own up to it

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM

I looked at the cap myself. there is no coating.

Do you mean the neck of the radiator is broken?
The cap is not broken.

Can a white greasy coating on the cap or the white plastic tank for coolant indicate that the coolant is mixing with transmission fluid.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Yes, I meant the neck of the radiator. Trans fluid mixed with coolant turns a strawberry milkshake color. they sell repair kits to repair the broken neck, but personally I dont trust them! A white milky residue could be simply solubile oil (water pump lubricant) which would rise and collect on the underside of the cap.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

After a few days the car overheated with some smoke.
The large hose to the radiator was not attached at all and there was no coolant/water at all.
It's odd that all this is starting after a trip to the mechanic. I would think that the white greasy coating has nothing to do with anything. After all, tranny fluid is red and coolant is blue...doesn't make sense.With the overheating issue, it was probably their fault, start with the thermostat and if that doesn't work then go with a new radiator. Purchase it yourself and you will save about 75% excluding install...

Quick Reply: sent wife in to have the vacuum pump replaced