Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

?'s about 84 300SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Question ?'s about 84 300SD

Hi all, new member here but infrequent lurker before that. I've been wanting an MB diesel for quite a while and recently found a 1984 300 SD for sale very cheap. It has no title and has been sitting 5 years and is on 4 flat tires. Odometer shows 310K miles. Guy selling it says it had working A/c when he stopped driving it. The hood release lever inside the car is broken so there is no way to look under the hood, which makes me suspect that maintenance might not have been done when required. Then again, it did make it to 310K miles, so....... Supposedly the transmission shifts fine according to the owner. Says it needs a new fuel line and obviously a battery and 4 tires at the very least. Is a car in that kind of condition with that kind of mileage even worth messing with? I'd appreciate anybody with knowledge about these cars chiming in here. Also, are there any guru's/enthusiasts from the list located near Tucson Arizona?

Last edited by Desert Panther; 05-23-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM

I wouldn't touch anything without a title. Why can't he get a replacement?

The other consideration is there is no such thing as a good cheap vehicle. You're either going to spend the money up front to get a decent runner, or you're going to spend even more in the long run to make it a decent runner. This one sounds like it's definitely the latter category. I think I would walk away.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
A reasonable value for that vehicle in that condition wouldn't be any higher than $500.

Without a title you need to ask for some kind of proof of ownership; a past registration, insurance card, bill of sale, etc. Then write down the VIN and plate information and ask a local police station if its been reported stolen in the past.
I think I can get it for 75 bucks

excellent idea regarding the VIN and checking with police! I know applying for a Bonded Title is going to be a bit of a hassle, but it should be possible.

What is the service life of the other driveline components in this vehicle, such as the rear differential/axle assembly, transmission? I really appreciate you responding to this post, I know you are the Mod here and your opinions are well respected ( at least by me anyway )

Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by cycleboy
I wouldn't touch anything without a title. Why can't he get a replacement?

The other consideration is there is no such thing as a good cheap vehicle. You're either going to spend the money up front to get a decent runner, or you're going to spend even more in the long run to make it a decent runner. This one sounds like it's definitely the latter category. I think I would walk away.
Vehicle was abandoned on this guy's property by a former tenant, whom he knew. He drove it for a while before it sprang a fuel leak, then he parked it and there it sat for 4½ years

I know what you mean about spending good money to get a decent car to begin with, but money is tight at the moment. Still not yet sure i'll be bringing it home (the car), but I will take your advice into consideration. Thank you.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM

desert panther,

were i able to pick that SD up for 500.oo or less (with/without title, but with a bill of sale), i would buy it & strip it for parts.

fyi, i've bought/parted out numerous MB diesels & never got rich but did fine on each one.
(i did that once on an '83 SD & made about 2500.oo clear profit on a 300.oo car.- glasses, doors, hoods, trunk lids etc are $$$$$$$ new & in my experience the parts are EASY to retail on craigslist.)

do that trick about 2-3 times & you can buy a fault-LESS, low mileage "garage queen" for about 5-6000.oo that you can proudly drive the rest of your life.

yours, TN46

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM

The only problem with that is without a title (doesn't matter that it was abandoned by the previous owner), the current possessor probably cannot legally sell it and you probably can't legally strip it. This isn't legal advice, but I would check with your state DMV about the ramifications.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Exactly. It's my guess that the current possessor is not the registered owner and therefor can't get a title (unless he goes through a storage lien or other similar process).

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM

to all,

laws on abandoned/junk cars vary A LOT from place to place.

in this area you can lawfully buy an abandoned car (defined as left upon the property of another, without the property owner's consent) for "parts or salvage" after 21 days. you may also lawfully dispose of any portion of the vehicle that you don't need by selling it for scrap.- the SELLER assumes any risk/liability for civil actions, if any, by the vehicle's owner.

should you buy such an abandoned car/truck, you can also petition the court for a legal title to said vehicle after another 21 days. - such petitions are routinely granted by the District Court & cost about 35.oo in fees + license fee.

fyi, i'm not a lawyer, but that is the law here.
(that's how i'm getting a title to the 1962 Starcraft boat, 1962 Mercury 35HP OB motor & 1963 Dilly trailer that was "abandoned" >6 months ago on my buddy's vacation property.)

yours, TN46