Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Replacing CamShaft in a Mercedes 300D - Need New Rockers ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Question Replacing CamShaft in a Mercedes 300D - Need New Rockers ?

I have a yellow 300D in otherwise perfect condition (always garaged, etc.) that has a broken cam-shaft. When I look in the original manual for the car, it talks about paying particular attention to the alignment of the camshaft ... don't want to screw up the timing of valves opening and closing etc. I can find a replacement cam-shaft, but there are no replacement rockers to be had, short of a new engine. QUESTION: How big a roll of the dice is it to replace just the camshaft and not the rockers ? I am getting differing advice. One experienced mechanic says it needs new rockers for sure, another says we can just replace the camshaft. I have more experience working with the guy who says we can just replace the camshaft. The car belonged to one of the guys at a local hardware store. I had admired it for about a year because he drove it back and forth to work. Then the camshaft broke. He didn't push it, i.e. didn't try to drive it in that condition. He was also going through a divorce and chose to just sell it. I have a blue 300D with a running engine and transmission, and some body rust on the right hand side. It's a great candidate for a parts car. I don't have the experience to be the primary mechanic on the job, so I am talking to experienced mechanics, getting quotes, etc. Anyway, I would like to hear from experienced 300D owners and diesel mechanics. Thanks ! EDIT - Tried to format my post, it wouldn't take.

Last edited by ALudlum4750; 11-21-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ALudlum4750
I have a yellow 300D in otherwise perfect condition (always garaged, etc.) that has a broken cam-shaft. When I look in the original manual for the car, it talks about paying particular attention to the alignment of the camshaft ... don't want to screw up the timing of valves opening and closing etc. I can find a replacement cam-shaft, but there are no replacement rockers to be had, short of a new engine. QUESTION: How big a roll of the dice is it to replace just the camshaft and not the rockers ? I am getting differing advice. One experienced mechanic says it needs new rockers for sure, another says we can just replace the camshaft. I have more experience working with the guy who says we can just replace the camshaft. The car belonged to one of the guys at a local hardware store. I had admired it for about a year because he drove it back and forth to work. Then the camshaft broke. He didn't push it, i.e. didn't try to drive it in that condition. He was also going through a divorce and chose to just sell it. I have a blue 300D with a running engine and transmission, and some body rust on the right hand side. It's a great candidate for a parts car. I don't have the experience to be the primary mechanic on the job, so I am talking to experienced mechanics, getting quotes, etc. Anyway, I would like to hear from experienced 300D owners and diesel mechanics. Thanks ! EDIT - Tried to format my post, it wouldn't take.
I am just going to deal with the Camshaft issue itself; not the why it broke issue.

If you are worried about the used rockers on a new Camshaft. Simply get a good used Camshaft and a set good used Rockers from the same Engine at the Junk Yard.

If it turns out Pistons and Valves made contact and you find out why that happened It may also be cheaper just to take get the complete Cylinder head along with the Good Camshaft and Rocker Arms if you have determined the Engine is repairable.

Note: The Exhaust Vale Stems have a substance in them that ignites when exposed to Air. Do not crack or saw into them.