Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Default question

I am a new MB owner and had a question for you diesel owners. I bought a very clean and well maintained 1985 300SD with 200,000 miles on it yesterday. I ran across someone saying at 200,000 miles the front end would need to be rebuilt. This car has recently had the shocks changed, front and rear brakes and rotars changed.

What does "having the front end rebuilt" mean??

Also, its original radio was replaced with an alpine CD unit two years ago. It is compatible with a connector that would link it to my IPOD. I am wondering if it is worth letting someone remove the unit from the dash to install this wire. Could this put the main panel electrical controls at risk for malfunction?? Or are the pretty hardy.

thanks...

macy

Old 03-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Default RE: question

Generally what was meant was that for a 20 year old car, and with over 200k, upper and lower rubber control arm bushings may be in a state of decay, also, rubber sub frame bushings, front and rear, also may be in a state of decay. Front sway, or stabilizer bar is also mounted in rubber mounts. In addition, you should have the car inspected for condition of ball joints, tie rods as well.

Don't have an answer for your other question, sorry..............BB

Old 04-02-2005, 02:59 AM
Default RE: question

Dude, you can buy a cheap cassette - ipod convertor. I got mine from a cd player package. It works with ipod luckily, so dont wry too mucha bout it.