Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Possible new MB owner, need opinion on '87 300D Turbo

Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Default Possible new MB owner, need opinion on '87 300D Turbo

Hey guys,

Great forum. I am looking at a 1987 300D Turbo with 148,xxx miles. Photos look very good and well kept.

I have never owned a MB or a diesel, so I would like some opinions.

I commute 130 miles each day. No traffic during commute, average 75 mph entire commute.

I currently drive a 1991 Honda Accord and would like to "upgrade" to something a little more comfortable.

From what I have read, these get pretty decent mpg. (depending on who you believe anywhere from 30-35 mpg, is this reasonably accurate?) My Honda averages 25 mpg with 100 miles highway, 30 miles city.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Car is listed at 4900.00.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM

I have an 87 TDT. Love it, best car I ever had. I get 25mpg.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Jason, I have an '87 300D Turbo. It now has 220,000 miles on it. I maintained it, it runs like new. In suburban driving and on the interstate I averaged 30 mpg. The fuel milage improved further as the power output decreased until the other day the engine was not getting any more fuel at all and refused to start. Had it towed to the dealership and they quickly determined that the rubber upstream of the fuel pre-filter had collapsed from old age and was plugged. The dealer went on a replacing rampage. Besides the $22 hose replacement, they replaced the strainer in the fuel tank, the entire fuel line from the tank to the engine, the pre-filter and the main fuel filter and with labor and taxes it came to $715.49. That's something you would have to look forward to if the car stopped running. The good news is, it omething I could havedone myself at little cost had I known what the problem was. That's what this forum is good for.
Your car is worth every penny of $4,900 IF the seller gives you a good warrenty. Begin by driving the car, if it accellerates with a deep growl and the RPM climbs right up to 4,500 - no need to push the red line on the tach - then you can gather that the engine is ok. On my car I had the lower ball joints replaced at 200,000 miles. Just had the brake pads only replaced all around and the brake lines flushed. Last year I replaced the radiator when it sprung a leak, and with thatI had the lower radiator hose replaced as well. The alternator needed to be replaced too after a couple of hundred thousand miles (a rebuilt one on the internet costs $80 with no core payment.) With a car this old electrical connection develop high resistance. For example, one day I could not crank the engine, turned out that the dashboard harness connection at the fire wall (inboard of the fuse box is a little cannon plug) needed to be pulled out and pushed back in a few times and this solved the problem. Little things like this will drive you nuts but in the end, like a cranky old wife, you will love her the more for it. Go for it and have fun, it's the perfect car for long commutes, the best series MB built, the fastest Diesel passenger car in 1987 - you can't wear them out - only break them. :-)
PS. I forgot the vacuum which controls the automatic transmission. If it shifts hard, you will need to find a good MB mechanic to replace the lines and control modules. The last leak I found myself in EGR valve. Just plug up the line, the car will run better for it and use less fuel. :-)

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM

My 87 300D a lady figured she'd take me out. totalled it rearended me. I loved the car and enjoyed running it ave mpg was 24 max 28. I'm debating on parting it out / selling it for a parts car/ or moving the motor to live on in something else. Mechanical and rust wise the cars great. anybody interested lwbrewer@zoominternet.net cars located near Pittsburgh PA. cars driveable to hear run and check out other parts
or tex 724-822-4321