Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

opinion needed: 1983 240d vs 1984 300sd for svo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Default RE: opinion needed: 1983 240d vs 1984 300sd for svo conversion

Ron-

Brass is an alloy containing copper.

It is true that no car is technically "green", but veggie cars are actually even less so. This is exacerbated by sending it to an early grave just because you want a supposedly cheaper fuel.

I did a fair amount of reading and it seems the CO and CO2 levels (as well as unburnt hydrocarbons) are strongly dependent on pre-heating. The lower your preheating temperature, the worse your emissions. The best emissions were obtained heating to a temperature of 180F. At this point, the CO and CO2 levels were better than for commercial diesel and bio-diesel. Anything less than 150F and you get worse emissions. These results are only for SVO, not for WVO. I wonder how many of those systems are actually capable of heating all the incoming fuel to greater than 150F.

But, I could also always fall back on the old argument that since SVO and WVO have never undergone the appropriate EPA testing, they are inherently illegal to use as a road fuel in the US.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Default RE: opinion needed: 1983 240d vs 1984 300sd for svo conversion

Ron,

I'll have to get back to you on that.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Just bought a 85 300D with a WVO two tank system. Also came with an 84 parts car that had a thrown rod, no WVO. Payed a whopping 1 k for both. car has 260k but a new tranny new turbo and the reason it was for sale was due to the inability of the previous owner to get the VO system to run reliably. For those argueing the pros and cons of VO first ralize that diesel is just aged VO, and diesel and tubines will run on most combustable fluids if the injectors are set corredctly. Heating VO is the key (only took me 2 days and some inulation to accomplish) and fuel temp at injector pump is 180-190, inline thermocoupler. Burns cleaner-new co and co2 instead of fossilized- and a more complete burn than diesel because of temp therefore no carbon buildup as well as no ph increase in the lubricating oil. The reason that I would suggest a two tank system is BECAUSE of diesels impuitys. The impuities actually coat the cylinders during shut down which allows lubrication to stick to the parts. heated VO and biodiesel are excelent solvents and wash all lubrication from the cyl. walls thus shortening the engine life. For those worried about breaking the laws you can talk to your local ag extension office and find the taxable rate for over the road diesel and pay the difference for your use (volenteering the tax) for the amount of fuel usage. Finally the EPA only tests for tolerable levels and offers restrictions on usage, not banning (you can still use DDT if you pay the EPA tariffs) and according to them water requires an MSDS sheet.
If you are not mechanically inclined or just want a turn key and forget car anykind of older diesel or gas MB should be avoided. They are play pretties and should be treated as such. They will only last for ever if you take great care of them.

79 280CE
85 300D Turbodiesel
IH diesel 730000miles when I sold her.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM

I would love to post my sources and information, which are very reliable and extensive, however I am not going to waste my time because you are obviously unable to change your mind. You seem to be one of those people who is "always right." Don't worry I won't post again, all questions can be answered by you. My guess however, is that all your sources are restricted to those published by like minded individuals as yourself. You read what you want to believe and avoid what might disagree with you. I am not going to argue with you and will not ask your advice. However, before you so blandly dismiss others posts as flat wrong, maybe you should take off your company line blinders. The ad at the bottom of your posts tells everyone where you stand, you love diesel, we get it. Some of us, however enjoy more than the status quo and wish to progress beyond what is easy.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Comparative Study of Engine Performance by Using Different Bio-Fuels. European Journal of Scientific Research
Experimental Investigation of Methyl Esters of Non-Edible Oils as Biodiesel on C.I. EngineInternational Journal of Materials Science
Red diesel cost sparks a move to HOME-GROWN FUEL. Farmers Weekly
The effect of two different kinds of vegetable oil on combustion and emission characteristics of a vehicle dimethyl ether engine. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part D -- Journal of Automobile Engineering
These should be a good place to start for emission

Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Please quote the relevant passages from those articles, because everything I read says the only appreciable benefit to biodiesel is decreased CO. In every other regard it is inferior. Fuel consumption increases, peak power decreases, NOx increases. And that's just bio-diesel, not WVO. WVO will destroy your engine.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 PM

I Did two years worth of research before I started my WVO experiment. Once again I point out that you dismiss anything you don't agree with. I am not going to argue with you because basically I can't learn anything from you. It was a European journal and if you read the article they defined biodiesel as any oil processed from a live vegetable source. The study also had nothing to do with "standards" for over road vehicles. My point is that you seem to attack and name call anyone who disagrees with you. The subject change into sustainablity was a nice touch and totally unrelated. My point is that spreading fear or name calling is not very civil and furthers nothing. WVO is not the optimum fuel to use but it is what I have to work with on my project. Unless you are willing to put in the required maintenance and be vigilant about things such as valve clearances, oil changes, fuel system maintenance, and sundry other things that come with running alternate fuels-- don't do it. That being said I don't think name calling and flat refusal of another point of view is helpful. If you want to turn the key and go then WVO/SVO/VO is not for you. However if they are willing to do the leg work (and this includes manually paying the fuel excise taxes) then I don't think you should dissuade them. If I could I would prefer to use biomass reclaim oil or algae produced fuel but as I said those options are not available to me. There are several hearty plants that show great promise. Were is the down side of a family farmer using 20 acres to grow a plant that would produce all the fuel needed to run his farm equipment for a year? Anyway as I said I don't care one way or another what you or anyone else does with their personal vehicles. As for me I will continue with my WVO 300D that is high maintenance because that is how I choose it. My last thing is that the co2 level on the planet earth was 10 to 35% higher during the time diesel was formed. It was locked up in the oil and remained under ground. The co2 in the VO was in the air last year and is being returned this year, therefore not "fossilized." Just for the record every time you buy a petroleum product it puts money in my pocket, so by all means keep buying it.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned
Default svo

MOD EDIT: Nice try ron burgandy. Go troll someplace else.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 06-23-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM

how difficult is it to mix and what do you mix with?(am also new to the biodiesel but interested)