Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Om617- turbo isn't draining

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Default Om617- turbo isn't draining

I searched and got everything but what I was looking for. Alright, om617 with 260k on the clock. Turbo went out (lots of shaft play, burned oil, leaked.... Horrible). Got a new reman unit off the ol' interwebs at xsboost.com. Total bolt on gig. I didn't pull the drain tube but I did verify it was clear and unobstructed. New gaskets on inlet and outlet, proper torques, etc. Anyway, new turbo has oil coming out the hot end. Again!!!!

The engine has a bit of blow by, but good compression. Would blow-by not let the oil drain and send oil through the turbo like that? Blue smoke, well any smoke sucks!!! I'm already the weird guy in town, I don't want to be the smokey car guy, that's what the kids with powerstrokes are for!

I need help bad y'all, I have to drive this car everyday until I can fix this issue and sell it!!! (Hint hint).

Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Brand new filter, crankcase vent on valve cover blows quite a bit, the drain under the filter housing is there... Seems loose... Any quick solutions to lower crankcase pressure?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 PM

If the Crankcase Oil Level is too high that will also interfere with the Oil Draining From the Turbo. At lest I have seen that happen on a few Big Rig Trucks.

Is the Turbocharger Oil inlet the Stock unmodified one?

You can do a temp mode on your Crankcase vent to so you won't have any or little Crankcase Pressure and see if that stops the Oil from coming out the Exhaust side.

Where I used to work We sold a Turbo and the Mechanic did not remove the Plastic Cap Plug from the Drain and installed it like that; of course it leaked. The same can happen if they taped over the Drain Hole to keep dirt out while it is on the shelf.

It also could simply be the Rebuilder cracked the Dynamic/Piston Ring Seal during the rebuild or did not measure the Ring Groove in the Turbine Wheel to see if it was worn beyond spec.

You could also drain your Oil; drop the small pan and look and probe inside the Drain Tube to see if it is obstructed.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 AM

Drain tube is clear. The outlet on the turbo had a plastic plug and yes it was removed... I have a cross country journey coming up for the holidays, so I just gotta sell it. I hate to do it, but I am out of time and patience... Cheap 300cd here!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Most of the various Mercedes Forums have a For Sale or Wanted section.

Since there was less CDs made someone might be interested.

I don't recall reading if there was Oil in either the Exhaust Ports on the Head or the Intake.

If your Exhaust manifold or ports in the Head are oily or has a lot of shiny burnt Carbon the Oil is either coming from the Engine or going through the Engine from the intake side.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 10-17-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 AM

No the exhaust manifold is surprisingly clean! It's all dumping from the turbo. I have it posted for sale, and honestly a thousand dollar offer wouldn't be turned down. Gonna miss her, but I have other needs that need funding... I do not wanna throw a cd in the scrap yard.