Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Default New sleeves

HI, My name is John and i have a 1987 MB300d turbo. Last month i put new pistons rings, timing chain, tensioner, new seals to the head, water pump, o-rings to the injector elements, nozzles to the injectors, and new kit to the turbine. Ater all that the car start fast but has no power, the valve cover breather is leaking oil and compression. A friend told me that every time i put new pistons rings i need to put new sleeves. the car has 285,000 miles. I want to know if this is true and if i put new standard sleeves and rings do i need to bored and honed the sleeves?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
New sleeves are required. The sleeves can't be machined and the wear lip at the top of the old sleeves have damaged the new rings.
Agreed, any time you rebuild an engine, DON'T just do half of it, because it'll cost you more in the long run. When you tear it back down you'll have to replace the head gasket, and the rings that you just replaced. You should also carefully check the pistons for wear at the skirts, pin bosses, and ring lands, any wear beyond factory tolerances will cause premature wear to the related component.