Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Need help please - no idea where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default Need help please - no idea where to start

Car: 1984' 190D - 101,000 miles

What's new: battery, glow plugs, glow plug relay, diesel thermostat
Hi guys, I need some seriousinput because I'm practiacally stranded at home without it.

I had my mechanic change the GP relay and I changed the battery from a starting issue a month ago.The problem still persisted and I thoughtthe starting problemwas from a fuel leak I had so my diesel thermostat was replaced. After that it still had the same symptoms, the car would try to start and the engine would shuffle around trying to start. Inside when the key was turned to position 2, the glow plug indicator lamp would light up as normal, then turn off when it was apparently ready. So the car still wouldn't start and I then replaced the glow plugs (first time ever doing it). Right after the plugs were installed I started the car and it started immidiately on the first try. The next non-cold morning asI got into the car I turned the key to position 2. This time the glow plug indicator lamp didn't even come on. I could hear the starter trying to start the car, but the engine didn't turn-over or shuffle period. So I went to advanced auto parts and told the guy what was up and he said it probably wasn't the starter causing the issue.

My question is, what could be causing this never ending starting issue and why after changing my glow plugs does my indicator lamp not turn on???