Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Need Advice... Doesn't anybody know???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Well I paid more and the reason I bought it was because it was suppossed to be the best car out there, most reliable. I've been burned by dishonest mechanics for the last time, I need to fix this myself. I am sick and tired of paying for repairs and parts I don't need. I've posted lots of pics and given lots of information basically what I want to know is it logical to assume the tranny is okay. That is the big thing and I don't want to put it back in and then have to take it out again. I've already been quoted 1500 just to look at it... and 2500.00 - 3000.00 to rebuild it. That is rediculous I don't have that kind of money to spend on this. Also I am tired of being underneath this car, it's not fun I never even got the joy of driving it for 1 month before a problem... first time out within 2 hours I'm having it towed.... urggghhhh... please someone look at the pics and give me a good expert opinion and advice to get this going.. This is mercedes forum someone must have encountered these problems...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by netpro
Do you know someone on here or someone that can look this over and help me? I really can't afford to put a pile of money into this old car. I got it thinking it would be reliable and since it had low miles I wouldn't have to worry about anything major for at least a year or two not the first time out!
I have been reading the various Mercedes Forums for about 3 years now and cannot point to any one source that could give you the type of help you need.
I have read of maybe 3 or 4 people who have been inside their Transmissions beyond changing filters.

If the body of the Car and the interior are in excellent shape someone might buy it from you who has a good Engine and Trans in their Car to swap into it.
If your Engine is low milage that might help also.

In general all used Cars are a risk when you buy them. Since 1968 I have owned used cars; most I have had resonable good luck with 2 not such good luck.

From my own experience with Mercedes and from what I have read my opinion is that to have an old Mercedes as your only Car is a poor choice.
If for no other reason that I have had to let the car sit while I waited for parts ordered on the internet to arrive. Buying local cost too much.
Or the car sat while I had to delay fixing something until I learned enough info to fix it.

And, then there is some jobs that need Special Tools; like changing the Rear Wheel Bearings or even compressing the Front Springs. You either buy those or make something that will work.
The main thing is some way or another you are going to get through this situation.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM

I think ForceInduction is right.

If it were mine I would put it back together and give it a try. With some luck it will be driveable.

Ounce you get your ride straightend out one way or another and your life is back top normal; the best way to avoid ever having to go to a mechanic is that take some Autoshop Classes at the local Community College or as I my case I went to a Trade School.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Where will I find a transmission for $200? Seeing that the speedo was moving consistantly with the pressure on the gas peddle doesn't that indicate the transmission was working? The thing that concerns me is that when I move the gear shift it feels like nothing there... I never drove it long enough to know if that is the way they feel?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Well I paid more and the reason I bought it was because it was suppossed to be the best car out there, most reliable. I've been burned by dishonest mechanics for the last time, I need to fix this myself. I am sick and tired of paying for repairs and parts I don't need. I've posted lots of pics and given lots of information basically what I want to know is it logical to assume the tranny is okay. That is the big thing and I don't want to put it back in and then have to take it out again. I've already been quoted 1500 just to look at it... and 2500.00 - 3000.00 to rebuild it. That is rediculous I don't have that kind of money to spend on this. Also I am tired of being underneath this car, it's not fun I never even got the joy of driving it for 1 month before a problem... first time out within 2 hours I'm having it towed.... urggghhhh... please someone look at the pics and give me a good expert opinion and advice to get this going.. This is mercedes forum someone must have encountered these problems...
You bought a 29 year old used car!

Did you think you were going to be able to just drive it without having to spend any money or due any repairs? What did the detailed maintenance/ repair records for this car showed which made you think you could go on a 100 mile trip after you had the car dollied to your home? Does the car's detailed record show if the transmission has had recent service?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes I did think I could drive it without expensive repairs right off the bat! It is the best motor mercedes ever made, and one of the most reliable cars according to the experts. I picked it because I didn't want the hassle of all the computer screwed up cars and junk available today. It only has 100,000 miles which is nothing for this car and has spent most of it's 29 years sitting in a heated garage.

It's in excellent conditon and was deemed a collector car which is next to impossible in B.C. unless it is in superior condition. Yes, I did see the records and it was taken for regular maintenance to a mercedes dealership in vancouver not your average joe's cheaper place. It's even been air-cared to 2012.

Everything ran smooth sounded great then boom out of nowhere with no pressure load or heavy acceleration the no shift???? YES I AM SURPRISED!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes I did think I could drive it without expensive repairs right off the bat! It is the best motor mercedes ever made, and one of the most reliable cars according to the experts. I picked it because I didn't want the hassle of all the computer screwed up cars and junk available today. It only has 100,000 miles which is nothing for this car and has spent most of it's 29 years sitting in a heated garage.

It's in excellent conditon and was deemed a collector car which is next to impossible in B.C. unless it is in superior condition. Yes, I did see the records and it was taken for regular maintenance to a mercedes dealership in vancouver not your average joe's cheaper place. It's even been air-cared to 2012.

Everything ran smooth sounded great then boom out of nowhere with no pressure load or heavy acceleration the no shift???? YES I AM SURPRISED!!!
Forced Induction gave you the answer. All you have to do right now is put in some sweat equity, which does not come out of your wallet. Make the repair as recommended, put it back together, with Zero dollars out of your pocket, and give it a try. The worst case scenario.....if you still have a problem then you know it is something more serious. Best case scenario...you drive off into the sunset with a smile on your face!! Good luck....

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM

That is what I am going to do... just waiting for my new tranny filter and gasket to come in and a decent day and it'll be done and I'll let you know if it worked.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Thumbs up

UPDATE: Wahooo it works!!! I serviced it changed the filters the vacuume lines figured it couldn't hurt, put the nut on tight and put it all back together started it up and it worked. I was so shocked. It shifts so smooth now you can barely feel it go in gear. It's amazing... Hopefully it stays that way... Thanks to all those who helped. It's appreciated.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Great to hear, and considering what you have said re maintenance history it would be a pretty safe bet to go on a 1000 mile trip without having it exhaustively checked out first. But probably best to at least check the rest of the drive train, and get a spare fuel filter and maybe alternator brushes before going on a trip,and check for dripping fuel anywhere. Sounds like a great car.
________
Mexico city hotel

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:15 AM.