Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Mechanic Recommendations for Brooklyn, NY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Default Mechanic Recommendations for Brooklyn, NY?

Hello! I am new to the forum and grateful for its existence. I just purchased an 84 300TDT Wagon for a wonderful price ($1600) that drives beautifully, looks great, appears to have no steering or transmission issues, starts right up even in the freezing cold here in NYC. I bought the car a bit hurriedly, as there were competitors and the 300 Turbo wagon is so rare. (204K miles)

Can anyone recommend to me a Mercedes diesel expert to check her over while I am still getting my feet wet? This is my first diesel and I am a bit lost! The oil level seems OK, but I'd feel better with some diagnostics and a relationship with someone local (NYC, Jersey, Long Island, Westchester would be OK too...) while I read the repair manual (which hasn't arrived by mail yet)

Thanks!!! And I look forward to exchanging ideas and stories with you guys in the future.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Default RE: Mechanic Recommendations for Brooklyn, NY?

I cannot help you about a good indy in Brooklyn, but I can suggest buying a Haynes repair manual (Mercedes Benz 123) Most book stores, auto parts stores sell them for $14

I would also recommend changing all fluids and oils, including brake system fluid flush, rear differential, transmission, power steering, and engine of course too. Also you should replace air filter and fuel filters at least once a year, a must do!

Hydraulic rear suspension on these TD and TE wagons I'm not familiar with, but I do know that there is a special pump for hydraulics integral with the head on that 617 engine, unlike the sedans. Pay attention to that too and change it's fluid too!

You should use fuel additives that eliminate fuel gelling in the cold winter months (Power Services) Auto-Zone sells it. Also increases cetane levels for better performance.

The only other trick I can tell you is to drive it hard, don't baby it. You should put the accellerator to the floor offten running the rpm's up over 4000 at least once every couple of days! Just look in your rearview when you do it and you'll see why! Leaving all that soot to accumulate in the engine will do more harm than good. The engine is bullet proof, so don't worry, your not going to break it! You have another 200K to go!

One more thought, these engines do require that the valves be adjusted now and then, about every 40K or sooner I think? Good luck...........BB

Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Mechanic Recommendations for Brooklyn, NY?

I am a mechanic and live in Ronkonkoma Long Island. I work out of my house but have a fully Equipt shop. (lift and all). I am very knowledgable on MB especially 123 and 126 series. I currently own a 83 TD wagon, 83 300D, 83 300SD as well as other projects. I will be happy to look at it for and give you the "101" of Diesels for a reasonable fee. Call me if interested. EM me if interested. westkill1@yahoo.com