Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Leaking from above fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Default Leaking from above fuel pump?

Howdy,

Recently my wife began to smell diesel fuel in my 1997 E300D. I bought it used last year and it seems the previous owner never changed the fuel filters. The gaskets on the filters were cracked and leaking fuel. Changed the filters and no more leaks from the filters...but now I have a leak (or several leaks) from what appears to be the fuel pump. Actually, the leak is coming from the top of the pump where there are 6 lines connected. I guess the pressure is better now so I found another weak spot in the system.

I am a relatively new diesel "mechanic", but I have worked on plenty of gas cars. Heres the rub, I have no idea what the unit where the gas is leaking is called.

Check out my photo of the part in question, the area where the gas is leaking is right where they make contact with the pump. There is gas around the "star" screws too.

http://www.sheabutterstore.com/image...-LEAK-SITE.jpg

I took off the intake, wiped everything down and started the car. I saw gas pooling around the 6 lines. The leak is not coming from the top of the lines, but rather from the bottom where the lines make contact to what I think is the fuel pump. Like I said, I have linked to a photo of the leaking unit in question. Is there some sort of gasket(s) that could be the culprit? Is the gas line pressurized? If so, how do I relieve the pressure so I can remove the screws holding the lines to the "pump" (I still think it is a pump)

Note that all six of the lines are dry at the tops and are only wet with fuel where they make contact with the plates holding them in place. Any help would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15259/728CFB7DDD2B47E3AB493F482F9316DF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Default RE: Leaking from above fuel pump?

Lucky You! You have a '97, Not sold here in Ca. I have an '87 124D. Mine is doing the exact same thing, in the exact same place. (This is why I joined this site today!) Maybe we can pool our knowledge and get BOTH vehicles fixed. Just came from the Dlr with 6 new Orings which sit at the base of the "Nozzle". I am told that this is what it is called. On mine, probably yours too, there is an O ring at the base of the nozzle, which can leak after time. From what I understand, it's not very difficlult to replace these. I will get on it soon. Look at the parts diagram at the dealer for your particular pump, and ask for whatever has the tendancy to leak, usually the weak point is an O ring. Viton F is best for this, can't determine what MBZ uses. I'd expect them to us F, but they call no spec in the parts book. I'd be interested to know more about your Vehicle and it's availability and cost, in your part of the country. Thanx Will, Oclip.WillDesign@verizon .net

Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Hello,
I have the same car. 97 E300D with 65k on it with full MB service. I had the great idea of running B100for a trip From Phoenix to LA. Car ran great. 48 hours after my trip the very pristine MB was a leaking mess. My Huntington Beach Benz (independant) had the same issue your having. I believe the 96-99 are very unique. They have all of these lovely plastic lines. He replaced all of them as you need to take off the intake and such(gasket) so you all ways change all of them. Some people say if you look at themwrong they leak. MB really boned up on the designfor these 4 years.He also change the fuel shut off. The major leak was fixed. The car smell never recovered. I then drove the next day back to Phoenix. Car still was reaking. I could still see some wet places on all the usual suspect areas in your pictures. Then I noticed some wet areas on the opposite side. I then removed the upper intake, that wraps around to the filter. With this removed you can take off the black plastic cover to expose the rubber return lines. All 6 of my were toast. I bought 1 meter from MB and replaced all of my return lines. My bet was the B100 ate this up. IF they were new ( not 9 years old)it might not of been so imediate. Now smell is gone and so are all the wet parts. I called back to my mechanic, and he said sorry he never checked them, as he usually would but I was leaving town.
Bill

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Ah yes, my 190D did the exact same thing before getting a new engine. You need a 32 point splined socket to attach to your wrench. They are roughly $50, rubber seals are like $1 and you need 6 for your 6cylinder engine.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM

I am not sure if your 190D can have exact issue as a 96-99 E300. From what I am told these years are the only ones that have these xxxxxx up plastic gas lines, and these clips. Does yours have metal lines?? The ones with metal lines are much more robust. If you fiddle or bumb these plastic ones they leak. Even so, they will eventually fail as these plasitc contraptions will degrade over time.
Bill

Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

190D lines are metal, but I was refering to Moherb's post. So I wonder why Benz decides to change to plastic lines during that period? Maybe to reduce costs?