Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

key won't turn; ignition lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Default key won't turn; ignition lock?

I have a 1982 240d, manual trans, 214K miles. Key won't turn in the ignition. Steering wheel is locked, wheels are straight. Key will go in and out, but won't turn. Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks for you quick reply. Yes, wiggled the steering wheel both hard to the left and right, then back and forth, while gently trying to turn the key.

I might also mention that the last two days the key has felt a little resistance while turning to the right, before it gets to the pre-ignition-dash-lights-on position. Like a regular key sort of hitting something, then on the second turn it would overcome this resistance. Now it can't.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by columbia
I have a 1982 240d, manual trans, 214K miles. Key won't turn in the ignition. Steering wheel is locked, wheels are straight. Key will go in and out, but won't turn. Any ideas?
Since you're sure the steering wheel is not holding against the locking pin, I'd change the ignition tumbler, QUICK!!
To get it to turn now, inject a good amount of penetrating oil and give the key little wiggles and try pulling the key towards you just a tad as you try to rotate the key. Once you get it to turn, DO NOT SHUT IT OFF AGAIN. Replace the tumbler.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Default key won't turn

Ditto on the key bit. Here's how I got mine unstuck:

1. Grasp steering wheel in left hand, key in right.
2. Whilst moving rapidly the left hand up and down, attempt to turn the key.
3. Move both key and wheel back and forth, seeking the magic position that will allow the column to unlock. Keep slight pressure on the key, trying to feel the spot where the column pin will snap open.
4. Repeat until exhausted, or the key finally turns.
5. Alternate this method with the exact same motions, only in slow motion.

Caution: Do not use force to turn key or wheel, it doesn't help. Jiggling lightly worked for my car, a 1982 240D. A vibration of sorts applied to the steering column sometimes worked also.

My results: I've succeeded doing this 10 times. Sometimes it works in a few minutes, other times it took about an hour of jiggling over the course of a few days. The proper fix for this problem is given in detail on this site.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone. No amount of wiggling could get it to turn; the whole ignition housing had to be drilled out and a different one put in. Oh well.