Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Just got a 1980 300TD

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by turbozeke418
I needed to put in something to find the leak and that worked. I need to replace the entire metal lines going back to the unit behind the rear axle. They are all rusting and the fluid just spewed out. When I run new lines or find a way to fix it, then I'll put in the correct fluid. (thank you so much for that link!!!) I would have just wasted my money this time around. Thank you for looking out though!!

I'm fixing other little odds and ends things right now also. The defroster works perfectly and so does the AC compressor, but the fan hi and fan lo and bi level setting do not work. the speedometer and the other gauges work, but the clock and mileage counter and trip odometer do not work either. Any suggestions for these??
As previously stated the Brake Fluid was a bad choice as it tends to eat up seals that were not designed to be exposed to Brake Fluid.
Since you are going to try to fix it you might want to find out what type of Hydraulic Fluid it is supposed to have.

Some place in the Repair links there is info on fixing the Gauge Cluster.
There is some SLS Repair stuff also. Depending on where the tubing is damaged I believe some have cut out a section of tubing and replaced it with some sort of repair section of Tubing. I cannot recall the specifics except that it is somewhere in the DIY Links or on the other forum.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-29-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM

I've ordered the proper fluid to fill the system. I just need to find the right size metal brake line to run back there. Might as well get a 25 foot roll and do the entire length so I don't have the problem again. I'm thinking 3/16 metal tubing? It doesn't look too big....

As for the dash..I think I'm going to buy a used one on EBAY. Done it numerous times in the past for other cars.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 PM

I've ordered the proper fluid to fill the system. I just need to find the right size metal brake line to run back there. Might as well get a 25 foot roll and do the entire length so I don't have the problem again. I'm thinking 3/16 metal tubing? It doesn't look too big....

As for the dash..I think I'm going to buy a used one on EBAY. Done it numerous times in the past for other cars.

I found a thread in the other Forum that deals with it some what. The tubing is 6mm and you need the proper fittings and a Bubble Flaring tool.
If you wanted to only patch the Line you would need a Union for the Bubble Flared tubing and you would cut the old tube slide the Male fitting over the tubing; Bubble Flare it; install the Union. Make a repair tubing section with 2 male ends on it and do as you did previously with the other Old end of the tubing with another Union.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-31-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:17 AM

I needed to put in something to find the leak and that worked. I need to replace the entire metal lines going back to the unit behind the rear axle. They are all rusting and the fluid just spewed out. When I run new lines or find a way to fix it, then I'll put in the correct fluid. (thank you so much for that link!!!) I would have just wasted my money this time around. Thank you for looking out though!!

I'm fixing other little odds and ends things right now also. The defroster works perfectly and so does the AC compressor, but the fan hi and fan lo and bi level setting do not work. the speedometer and the other gauges work, but the clock and mileage counter and trip odometer do not work either. Any suggestions for these??
The odometer gears are a common failure on these cars. Here is a link to a company that makes new ones. I bought a set for my SDL, they work great.
http://www.odometergears.com/mercedes.html

John