Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Hot Rod diesels

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Default Hot Rod diesels

http://www.teamrwd.com/dieselboost/

http://www.teamrwd.com/dieselboost/.../dslboost05.wmv Nice video

Anyone speak German. I really like Hot Rod diesels and want to find out what the capabilities of the 5 cylinder MB diesel are.

I am very familiar with the Straight six Cummins Turbo Diesel and the power avilable after bombing is awesome. No internal engine mods needed to easily reach well over 600HP. 400HP and 800ft. lbs. is very easily achieved even with a stock turbo.

When I look at The MB Diesel I see a stout straight 5 with a nice little mechanical injector pump. Looks like a recipe for big power to me. I don't really know much about these things. Are these things Direct injected diesels? Are performance injectors available? From what I have read it sounds like the factory equipped these babies with huge turbos and non-wastegated housings, hence the lazy acceleration. If so Smaller housings with wastegates should really help off the line, nice modern Turbos would be nice too. Anyone know what kind of Boost these things will handle? Anyone ever Dyno one? I read about some guys fiddling with the rack and making more power. Sounds interesting but Boost and EGT gauges would be wise additions to avoid problems. The Red car in the video was running just over 400Hp and 737 ft. lbs. which is close to what I would expect for the design. Looked like a Holeset HX35 Turbo as well. Anyway any one Bomb thier Diesel yet? Would be nice to have a Hot rod WVO Benz

Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Hot Rod diesels

While I haven't heard of anything being done with the early to mid 80's OM617 five cylinder MB diesels in way of adding the HP in this country, but have heard things being done in Finland with the mid 80's OM603 six cylinder MB diesel. I have heard about 400 + hp developed using intercoolers and bigger turbos etc. If I can find their site I'll post it.......